Cake For 450 Ppl

Decorating By ihateveggies Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 6:43pm by kakeladi

ihateveggies Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 3

Has anyone done this? I am a home baker (in Canada) with one oven - is this even possible? I also have no idea what to charge the couple - its for a wedding. I've made a cake for the groom to be before & charged him $200 for a cake for 25 ppl (it was for an optometrist office opening party).

I understand that the cake they would cut would not feed 450 ppl but be for their cutting purposes only & that they'd have slabs in the kitchen to cut up...but I would guess I'd have to freeze some of this ahead of time & I'm just not sure how this all would work?

Any tips???

2 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 3

Well it will depend on the actual cake the bride chooses.This will determine servings from that cake and then you can make up the difference with sheet cakes in the kitchen..so for example..If bride chooses a cake for 200 then you need to make sheet cakes to feed 200 or whatever the final guest count is given to you by the bride.

Bake early and freeze whatever sheets you can as they don't have to be decorated as elaborately as the wedding cake.Time management is key..Bake a few days in advance...Make icing in advance..Stack/assemble cake and crumbcoat to allow for settling a few days in advance etc...Decorate day before.Deliver and setup the day of..

kakeladi Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 3

As I remember the largest cake I made made served around 300-350. You will need to start baking at least a month ahead and fz. Even slabs take time to mix batter; bake; cool; fz; and later ice. You will need a fzr *just* for all that cake!
Is it possible? Yah, but it's a LOT of work!
What to charge? what is your going rate per serving for an average wedding cake? At say $3.50-4 (US) per serving you are talking about an order worth $1,500-2,000 (US)! You certainly will earn that! And probably wish you had charged more icon_smile.gif
Here are some things to think about:

Do you have a kitchen big enough to work on something this size? Store it? Can you devote that much time away from your family? Do you have little kids? (to get in the way, &/or cry they are hungry etc) Do you have a vehicle that has room enough to carry all that cake? Or are you going to have to make a couple of trips to the venue? (more expense in gas!)
Really think long and hard about taking on such a huge venture.
As was mentioned, you can do a lot of things ahead. Make icing; bake; prepare boards; make decorations/flowers; but in the end it still will be A LOT of hard work the day before and day of!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%