Home Business In Virginia - Which Department To Contact?

Business By missmeg Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 7:03pm by RuthBakes

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 4

I have a licensed cottage industry in New Hampshire for my cake business. My dh has accepted a transfer down to Virginia, and I am not sure which department of the state I need to contact to start the paperwork to have my cake business down there. Here in NH it is through the Dept of Health & Human Services, but a quick look on the VA state website, it doesn't look as though that would be the correct department.

Any help would be appreciated!

~Meg

3 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 4

It's the department of Agriculture in VA.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 4

Check around because some cities allow home-based bakeries and some don't. Also, I've read that it's tough to get a hold of someone in Department of Agriculture. Search for Virginia here for some old postings. I believe it's kitagirl that had a posting going a while back with some very good intel. Good luck!

RuthBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RuthBakes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeg

I have a licensed cottage industry in New Hampshire for my cake business. My dh has accepted a transfer down to Virginia, and I am not sure which department of the state I need to contact to start the paperwork to have my cake business down there. Here in NH it is through the Dept of Health & Human Services, but a quick look on the VA state website, it doesn't look as though that would be the correct department.

Any help would be appreciated!

~Meg

It is the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Office of Dairy and Foods.

Contact information is :
VDACS-Office of Food Safety
http://www.vdacs.state.va.us/fdasafety/index.html
Direct phone number is 804-768-3520

I called them and they emailed me the paperwork packet. The person that answered the phone was really helpful.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%