How Is This Cake Supported?

Decorating By cocoanna Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 8:14am by cocoanna

cocoanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoanna Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 4

I have a request for something like this:

http://www.slattery.co.uk/images/364766.gif

Something like. What she wants is a pretty cake stand instead of a pillar and 2 upper tiers. How is this supported? I was thinking support dowels on the bottom tier where the cake stand sits, but them I'm scared a small bump on the table would make it fall!

If it helps, the top 2 tiers are dummy cakes and only the base tier is edible, and the stand won't be that tall.

Help!

3 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 4

I would support it the same way I'd support a cake....sps system, or a plate and dowels or push in pillars. You can glue the stand to the plate with RI but yes....a good bump and you will have at least wiggle, if not worse. But you'd have that even if it was on pillars or even just stacked. Not good to bump the cake table!

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 4

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but could you do pvc pipe screwed into the base (wooden), going up through the bottom tiers and screwed into the board (wooden) supporting the top tier? The pipe and hardware would be hidden by the decorations. That would be pretty sturdy, I would think.

cocoanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoanna Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 8:14am
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the replies! I found a photo which best resembles what the client wants:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1922086

The instructions were given but I'm not sure if I want to go through the trouble of drilling and all that. I saw the Wilton Towering Tiers Stand and found it's the closest to what I need. I was just planning to DIY a candlestick as well, but without the drilling. Any other suggestions?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%