Need Help With The Science!

Baking By GuiltyPleasures Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 10:34am by artscallion

GuiltyPleasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuiltyPleasures Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:57am
post #1 of 10

I am looking for some help. I LOVE the results of the WASC cake (both taste and texture). However I am baffled because when I have tried to use this same batter for cupcakes the result is a much lighter cupcake than what the cake produces. icon_confused.gif I am really looking for the same great taste but just slightly heavier or more dense.

I was thinking that perhaps if I changed the recipe to 1/2 cup oil and 1 cup water that might help to make them more dense? Or perhaps if I mixed everything by hand thereby decreasing the amount of air in the batter? Perhaps an extra egg yolk? Any suggestions of a way to tinker with this recipe from those who understand the science behind this would be greatly appreciated! I desperately want to find a way to fix this without having to go through 10 test batches. I don't think my waistline could take that! icon_lol.gif

9 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 10

Wow, I can't believe this. I thought I was nuts! Mine do the exact same thing-drives me crazy! They are so light and spongy-and dare I say they have a similar texture/lightness to them like angel food cake?

I think another egg would make it more cakey/light. I say that because when you do box brownies they say add another egg if you want cake-like brownies.

Maybe adding more oil will increase the density. I don't make cupcakes that often but it drives me nuts when I do and there is no substance to them.

Let me know what you find out!

GuiltyPleasures Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:32am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Wow, I can't believe this. I thought I was nuts! Mine do the exact same thing-drives me crazy! They are so light and spongy-and dare I say they have a similar texture/lightness to them like angel food cake?

I think another egg would make it more cakey/light. I say that because when you do box brownies they say add another egg if you want cake-like brownies.

Maybe adding more oil will increase the density. I don't make cupcakes that often but it drives me nuts when I do and there is no substance to them.

Let me know what you find out!

I posted a similar plea for help in the cupcake forum and got a better response. Here is the link http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-725283.html

Based on this info I tried cooking it at the lower temp and it did make a difference. I may still tinker with adding a little more liquid or adding more oil and less water, but I think I am on to something here. This recipe is so versatile that if I can come up with a similar thing for cupcakes my life will become so easy. icon_smile.gif Please let me know if you try anything that works.

AnnieCahill Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:10am
post #4 of 10

Yep, I bake mine at 325 and have the same results.

GuiltyPleasures Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:56am
post #5 of 10
Quote:

Yep, I bake mine at 325 and have the same results.

You bake them at 325 and they are still light and spongy or you bake them at 325 and it fixes the problem?

AnnieCahill Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 10

Still light and spongy at 325.

Although, I recently switched to BC mixes and I haven't tried those in a cupcake form. All the cupcakes I tried were DH. Maybe I will try to whip up a batch of WASC using BC and see what happens...

GuiltyPleasures Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:

Still light and spongy at 325.

Although, I recently switched to BC mixes and I haven't tried those in a cupcake form. All the cupcakes I tried were DH. Maybe I will try to whip up a batch of WASC using BC and see what happens...

Just out of curiosity I am going to try tinkering with the recipe using a cup of rice flour (found in the Asian isle of larger supermarkets) and experimenting with the water/oil ratio. I will let you know what happens. Can you let me know your results too?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 10

rice flour, while it looks and feels as fine as regular flour, has a grit to it, almost like cornmeal, but not as much. If you've ever had those almond cookies with the cherry on top in chinese restaurants, or pecan sandies, that's kind of what rice flour gives you. Could be interesting in a cupcake. I'm a fan of rice flour so I'll be interested to hear your results.

GuiltyPleasures Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 6:20am
post #9 of 10

artscallion: I made some really awesome chocolate molten cupcakes that were gluten free using the addition of rice flour starting with the BC gluten free cake mix and doctoring it. I am not someone who eats gluten free but these were darn tasty. I was trying a few other things before I got to the rice flour, so I still have not tried adding it to a regular WASC recipe. If you want the recipe let me know and I can send it to you via pm.

AnnieCahill: With the helpful ideas of some other CCers I think I came up with a variation of the WASC that is not spongey but instead dense and moist just like the cake. Here it is:

1 Box mix (I used BC vanilla during my trial)
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup coffee creamer or milk (I used a vanilla coffee creamer and it really brought out the vanilla taste. I split the recipe in half and tried using 2% milk and that turned out good too but it was not quite as dense.
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp of your choice of flavoring (I used vanilla just because /i wanted to see what the taste of the coffee creamer was going to do)
1 1/4 cup sour cream (or 1 heaping cup)
2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients as in original recipe. Add wet ingredients and mix for 30 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl and mix an additional 30 seconds. STOP MIXING. Place in cupcake liners and bake as normal. I thought this gave me a texture that I was used to in the WASC cake. Please let me know if you get similar results!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:34am
post #10 of 10

I'd love the recipe, guiltypleasures!

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%