Venue Called - Where's The Wedding Cake? Huh?

Business By pastrychef101 Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 1:48am by frostinggalore

pastrychef101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef101 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:42am
post #1 of 108

What a weekend it has been! Saturday was a very intense day of weddings, and everything seemed to be going wrong. It was definitely a Murphy's Law type of day. My business partner and I finished our deliveries for the day and were getting a bite to eat. I noticed that there were several voicemail messages on my phone. So I went outside to check them thinking something happened to one of the cakes we delivered. Well, it was a venue and other vendors calling asking where Jane Doe wedding cake was as the wedding was starting, and we were listed as the cake vendor. icon_surprised.gif What!? I have no idea what you're talking about? We didn't have a cake contracted at the venue today for Jane Doe. (As a side note, it is a venue that we work with that offers packages to the their clients that includes the cake. We send an invoice to the venue, and receive payment from them rather than the bride.)

So I try calling the venue back without success. I finally get ahold of the DJ. She said that we were supposed to do the wedding cake and that everyone was wanting to know why we weren't there. I had no idea what they were talking about and explained to her that we were not contracted to do the wedding cake. I went through the scenario, but I could tell she thought I was not being truthful and said that I needed to produce a cake. icon_cry.gif

I get my computer out to look up the client's name to try and figure out what could have happened. I had met with the MOB informally back on February 22. We discussed wedding cakes in general, and I provided her a ballpark estimate based on a simple design. She took the information with her, and I documented on the estimate that it was for reference only. She said she would discuss everything with her daughter and that she would be in touch. If her daughter was good with everything, they would contact me to schedule a consultation and tasting for the bride.

To this day, I never heard back from the MOB. Never received a phone call or email so I assumed they decided to go with another cake vendor. Again, they never selected a design or cake flavors, and the bride or her mom never signed a contract. We never received any money from the venue either for the wedding cake. Despite all of that, apparently the MOB thought that telling the venue we were doing the cake was notification and a contract for us to do the cake.

So now the venue, caterer, DJ, MOB, bride, and the 150 guests think that we failed to deliver the bride a wedding cake. I am so devastated. Although we did not do anything wrong and did not have a contract, it will have devastating results for our business.

So how do I handle thie sitation from here? I'm supposed to contact the venue on Monday to "explain" myself, and more than likely the relationsihp there is severed. I'm going to have to deal with an upset bride and MOB on Monday as well. I fully expect them to leave negative reviews for us on the wedding websites as well. I just have no idea how this woman could have walked away without any type of design, flavors, or signed contract and think that we were doing her daughter's cake.

Thanks for letting me VENT...

107 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:10am
post #2 of 108

Wow...what an awful thing to happen to you! To be fair, I don't see how anyone could say this was your doing. You have the initial paperwork that shows where it was left off.

I tell you if it was me I would be the one going on the attack and not let them try and make you feel it was your fault. Demand to know why someone--either the MOB or the venue didn't at least contact you regarding this date. How are you supposed to know what size cake, what flavor, what design to do unless someone informs you! Who doesn't check with vendors for final confirmations? Why wouldn't the venue call you to inform you of the time of the reception? Someone dropped the ball but it sure wasn't you!

Hang in there and let us know what happens. You have nothing to be ashamed of...I just hope you're not made the scapegoat.

pastrychef101 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:18am
post #3 of 108

Thanks, and I hope we're not made the scapegoat either. The meeting with the MOB wasn't even what I would consider a consultation. It was very informal, and it was no different than her or someone calling and asking our pricing for wedding cakes. It was very general. With how this transpired, it would be like me assuming we were doing a cake for every person that called or came into our shop making a general pricing inquiry or asking if we are available for their wedding date. That is how ridiculous this is.

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:20am
post #4 of 108

I doubt that the MOB thought the cake was all taken care of( I cannot see how) most likely she got caught up with other things perhaps and forgot all about the cake and at the last minute when she realized what she had done...blamed you for the whole thing. I would speak to the bride herself and let her know the conversation that took place with her mother. Good luck, hang in there!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:24am
post #5 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmaiden0101

I doubt that the MOB thought the cake was all taken care of( I cannot see how) most likely she got caught up with other things perhaps and forgot all about the cake and at the last minute when she realized what she had done...blamed you for the whole thing. I would speak to the bride herself and let her know the conversation that took place with her mother. Good luck, hang in there!

And that's another thing...where was the bride in all this?? Since when does a bride let her mother make all the decisions? You never met or talked with the bride about style or colors or flavors. This is totally ridiculous!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:26am
post #6 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeacakea

What a weekend it has been! Saturday was a very intense day of weddings, and everything seemed to be going wrong. It was definitely a Murphy's Law type of day. My business partner and I finished our deliveries for the day and were getting a bite to eat. I noticed that there were several voicemail messages on my phone. So I went outside to check them thinking something happened to one of the cakes we delivered. Well, it was a venue and other vendors calling asking where Jane Doe wedding cake was as the wedding was starting, and we were listed as the cake vendor. icon_surprised.gif What!? I have no idea what you're talking about? We didn't have a cake contracted at the venue today for Jane Doe. (As a side note, it is a venue that we work with that offers packages to the their clients that includes the cake. We send an invoice to the venue, and receive payment from them rather than the bride.)

So I try calling the venue back without success. I finally get ahold of the DJ. She said that we were supposed to do the wedding cake and that everyone was wanting to know why we weren't there. I had no idea what they were talking about and explained to her that we were not contracted to do the wedding cake. I went through the scenario, but I could tell she thought I was not being truthful and said that I needed to produce a cake. icon_cry.gif

I get my computer out to look up the client's name to try and figure out what could have happened. I had met with the MOB informally back on February 22. We discussed wedding cakes in general, and I provided her a ballpark estimate based on a simple design. She took the information with her, and I documented on the estimate that it was for reference only. She said she would discuss everything with her daughter and that she would be in touch. If her daughter was good with everything, they would contact me to schedule a consultation and tasting for the bride.

To this day, I never heard back from the MOB. Never received a phone call or email so I assumed they decided to go with another cake vendor. Again, they never selected a design or cake flavors, and the bride or her mom never signed a contract. We never received any money from the venue either for the wedding cake. Despite all of that, apparently the MOB thought that telling the venue we were doing the cake was notification and a contract for us to do the cake.

So now the venue, caterer, DJ, MOB, bride, and the 150 guests think that we failed to deliver the bride a wedding cake. I am so devastated. Although we did not do anything wrong and did not have a contract, it will have devastating results for our business.

So how do I handle thie sitation from here? I'm supposed to contact the venue on Monday to "explain" myself,
icon_confused.gif You *have to* explain yourself - excuse me - no you don't.
As you said above - you have nothing in writting - no signed contract nor a deposit.
Don't let the Venue walk all over you - stand tall - Print out what you have documented on your pc - then step back and wait for them to *explain themselves*.
I am thinking that this might be a case of others knew but didn't advise you - hmmmm
I agree, what everyone thinks can do harn to your bsuiness - but in this case - others have more explaining to do than you and your partner.
And if the Venue starts getting a bit *iffffy* then ask them - "Would you cater for a wedding reception on a one off chat from the MOB back in Feb?

and more than likely the relationsihp there is severed. I'm going to have to deal with an upset bride and MOB on Monday as well.
Pfftttt - i wouldn't be dealing with her at all - its up to them to contact you - let the venue sort it....why create a headache for yourself?

I fully expect them to leave negative reviews for us on the wedding websites as well. Can you enter that website and also leave a comment along the lines of...
How sad that noone actually ordered a cake from us icon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gif

I just have no idea how this woman could have walked away without any type of design, flavors, or signed contract and think that we were doing her daughter's cake.
There is your answer as to why there was no cake - thumbs_up.gif

I wonder if the gown the bride wore was designed and made due to a one off chat with the MOB
And the flowers
And the music/DJ

Vent away - but honestly - someone else has more explaining to do than you do.

Bluehue

Thanks for letting me VENT...

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:59am
post #7 of 108

You say the venue offers packages to the bride and that your cake can be part of that package? Well, they must have some paperwork regarding the cake. You take your paperwork, and ask to see theirs - let them prove that you knew about it.
It really sounds like everyone is trying to pass the buck to you.
Chin up, you have done nothing wrong - what an awful position for you to be put in.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 7:00am
post #8 of 108

Um, hello? They never PAID you for a cake. How exactly did they expect to be getting a cake without paying for one, aside from the fact that they never ordered one??? Unless maybe they paid the venue and the venue is the one that screwed it all up, in which case, the venue also never paid you. So in any case, not your fault. No money, no cake for you. Ah, I know, the name of your business must be "The Psychic Baker" so they just thought about ordering a cake and assumed you would know that obviously you were supposed to make and deliver the cake lol. Seriously, I think some people are just plain nuts. If they start posting negative comments I'd send them a nice letter defining slander and libel for them.

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 7:27am
post #9 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeCakesbyMichelle

Um, hello? They never PAID you for a cake. How exactly did they expect to be getting a cake without paying for one, aside from the fact that they never ordered one??? Unless maybe they paid the venue and the venue is the one that screwed it all up, in which case, the venue also never paid you. So in any case, not your fault. No money, no cake for you. Ah, I know, the name of your business must be "The Psychic Baker" so they just thought about ordering a cake and assumed you would know that obviously you were supposed to make and deliver the cake .

Hey I ordered a cake from the Psychic Baker for next week, I never really contacted her,I don't know what flavor, what design, or how I am gonna pay for it, but I'm sure it will be here on the correct date...after all I sent my order with my mindddd!

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 7:49am
post #10 of 108

I don't know what to say... I guess you can say, I'm speechless!

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 7:52am
post #11 of 108

um... this is re-dicky-donkulous!! she has no contract, therefor she has no cake. the end. what a mess. i can't imagine her thinking she was getting a cake when she never picked flavor, colors, design nothing??

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 9:47am
post #12 of 108

No contract + No money = No Cake

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 11:02am
post #13 of 108

I've been really trying to be a bit more Zen in my life...peace, love and understanding ..but I must say your situation brings to mind a saying my dear mum was fond of saying: "They bite the hand that feeds them, and lick the boot that kicks them". I'm not suggesting you give them all a swift kick but I concur that you should not feel defensive.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 11:48am
post #14 of 108

WOW!!! icon_surprised.gif what a day!!
I feel your pain just reading this, hope everything gets straightened out soon..
Jodi icon_smile.gif

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:07pm
post #15 of 108

let us know how your meeting goes.......

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:29pm
post #16 of 108

Oh I'm going to keep an eye on this one - that is ridiculous!! the levels people will go to, to get the monkey off their back. That MOB should be ashamed of herself and as for the bride!!!! what bride doesn't ask questions like 'what design is it mum, what flavour is it mum, how many tiers is it mum, who's freaking making it mum?'

Whoa I'm glad it's not me, I'd have raged by now! lol

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:34pm
post #17 of 108

No contract, no cake. Simple. The MOB failed to do her part and you are not responsible. You have your documentation and the MOB does not have a copy of a signed contract. No one would do a cake without a contract.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:57pm
post #18 of 108

wow. I too would be charging into that venue and demanding to know why you were HARASSED all evening on a cake that wasn't ordered or paid for. Does the venue require an invoice from you? Do they pay you in advance? How are things usually handled?
Do NOT apologize, you are the one who was wronged here- your reputation, your day off, your piece of mind.
I would be MAD!!!

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:01pm
post #19 of 108

Well, it's a mess for sure. But I think the venue and the MOB have some explaining to do.

As for the negative impact on your biz...remember the rest of the work you did that day...all well done and on time. The results remain to be seen and yes...let us know how it all comes out!

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:23pm
post #20 of 108

Good grief! Its stories like this that make me wonder if I REALLY want to start a cake business!

As everyone has said, you should have nothing to be worried about as you have done NOTHING wrong- you shouldnt have to chase up the MOB or bride based on a quick discussion, so as far as you're concerned it came to nothing! I don't know many brides who wouldn't at least speak to their cake decorator to give an idea of a design- clearly a severe lack of communication between MOB and Bride, who by the sounds of it both assumed the other was dealing with it!

I know I wouldn't have wanted my mother deciding on my cake!!

Fingers crossed the right person gets it in the ear for this, and not the one innocent party caught up in the whole sorry mess.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:37pm
post #21 of 108

It is simple, ask either the MOB or the venue to produce either a signed contract for the cake or a receipt of payment for the desired cake. If they have no paper trail then you can not be held responsible. As far as a negative review, you will need to respond with a similar response that no payment was ever made, no contract signed, no designed approved, so no cake was made.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:50pm
post #22 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmat

wow. I too would be charging into that venue and demanding to know why you were HARASSED all evening on a cake that wasn't ordered or paid for. Does the venue require an invoice from you? Do they pay you in advance? How are things usually handled?
Do NOT apologize, you are the one who was wronged here- your reputation, your day off, your piece of mind.
I would be MAD!!!

ABSOLUTELY DITTO!!!!! I especially agree with "demand to know why you were harassed all evening for a cake that wasn't either ordered or paid for!! I'd be on premises as they opened the door on Monday and demand to know what the heck happened and make them assure me it would never happen again!

Good luck with this, please let us know what the outcome is.

pastrychef101 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:51pm
post #23 of 108

MOB just left a voicemail, and I will be calling her back this morning. I'm trying to prepare myself so that I keep the emotion out of it. I will let you know how it goes. I did speak to the venue, and they understand that there wasn't a contract. Apparently at the wedding, the MOB was trying to blame the venue saying that they were supposed to place the cake order with us. As someone said, the mom is not accepting responsibility and is putting it off on the venue and us.

As for the process, we don't have a contract with the venue. We are one of their preferred vendors. If a bride orders their full service package which includes cake, photographer, DJ, food, etc., the venue pays us rather than the client. The client orders the cake as usual, signs a contract, and I forward an invoice to the venue. Once the venue receives it, they pay me in full. Both the venue and I explained the process to the MOB in detail.

Thanks to everyone for your support![/quote]

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:22pm
post #24 of 108

icon_surprised.gif Oh wow. What a crock!
Had a similar experience once: had one of those informal meetings in early Spring for a New Year's eve wedding. Never heard from them, so naturally I took them out of my file.

Just before Christmas I get a call from this Bride to confirm the order and delivery time.... icon_confused.gif what? Um....I don't think so honey! She was upset, but understood-apparently she thought he mom was taking care of ordering the cake.

Anywho- turns out no other bakery would take her order (duh.) So being the schmuck that I am, I finally agreed to do the cake for her. ugh.

So I hope the conversation goes ok with the MOB. Good luck! Sorry this had to happen to you. Hang in there!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:39pm
post #25 of 108

I'm rather curious to see how this turns out as well. I'm guessing someone at the venue dropped the ball.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:20pm
post #26 of 108

Sounds like this MOB needs a swift kick in the A$$...What a loser...I would apologize for nothing...Period...Produce your paperwork and say Too bad so sad....I wouldn't worry about people like this leaving bad reviews...most of the time you can delete it...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:24pm
post #27 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I wouldn't worry about people like this leaving bad reviews...most of the time you can delete it...

Agree. I had a review on Wedding Wire and had no idea who the bride was. I had no booking on the date shown on the reivew. I contacted Wedding Wire, told them I had no booking that day and could not identify the bride and they removed the review.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:36pm
post #28 of 108

We all make mistakes. I don't know why poeple cannot take account for when they make a mistake. It is just so ridiculous this "pass the buck attitude". Good luck and stand strong. Your only emotion should be anoid!

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:38pm
post #29 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeCakesbyMichelle

Um, hello? They never PAID you for a cake. How exactly did they expect to be getting a cake without paying for one, aside from the fact that they never ordered one??? ... Ah, I know, the name of your business must be "The Psychic Baker" so they just thought about ordering a cake and assumed you would know that obviously you were supposed to make and deliver the cake lol.

Yeah... the Psychic Magic baker who magically can afford to bake and work for free! Lol!

I agree with the other posters, you need an apology and an explanation given to you!

JessiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessiesCreations Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:57pm
post #30 of 108

Oh My! So curious to see what happens next!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%