Can I Do This?

Decorating By shanienee Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 10:34pm by victoria7310

shanienee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanienee Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:09am
post #1 of 33

I am making my first wedding cake this weekend. It is a complimentary cake that I volunteered to do for a couple getting married on a tight budget. I was thinking about boosting business when I said that I would do it. Originally, the cake was planned for about 50 people, so a 2 tier would have worked.
The bride informed me a few days ago that the cake would need to serve 150 people. I have already purchased the supplies, plus a little extra, for the original cake. Instead of a 2 tier, she wants a 4 tier. The best thing she did was decide on simple polka dots and a shell border (easy enough). Originally, they were supposed to be double layers (I am guessing this correct for wedding cakes anyway).
The problem is, I have a job and am pressed for time to bake a cake this size. I plan on baking and freezing and decorating all day on Saturday for Sunday delivery.
Well, with the last minute changes, would it be okay for me to do a 4 tier round cake (wilton pan sizes 6, 8, 10, 12) and torte the layers instead of baking double layers?
REMEMBER, this is a free cake.

32 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:38am
post #2 of 33

In my opinion it will look squatty...plus a double layer cake of this quantity only serves 100 counting the top tier...is she planning on keeping this?

How can someone go from 50 people to 150 if they sent out invitations to only 50 or so. Ask her if that's a real headcount. I know you work, but perhaps in the evening you could bake 2 tiers tomorrow and 2 tiers Tuesday. Freeze them. Then on Thursday crumb coat and ice your first 2 tiers and Friday crumb coat and ice your final two tiers. Keep the frosted cakes in the fridge. Then Saturday stack and decorate.

I freeze my cakes all the time and keep them in the refrigerator after frosting and decorated up until time for delivery. Better to deliver something you're proud of.

She sounds like she took advantage of your kindness.
You might ask for some kind of payment since a free cake for 50 suddenly tripled in size. I find that rude, very rude.

vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:40am
post #3 of 33

I don't see why not since you had told them you'd make them a cake for 50 then they changed it to 150. This way you aren't out as near as much money as you originally planned. If you are okay with each tier being only 2" instead of 4" I say go for it!

microunique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microunique Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:55am
post #4 of 33

Indefinitely sugget you to go for only that tier which can satisfy all the guest while at proper budget both are important as it is the most memerable event of your as well as her life. Just go for it.

shanienee Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:18am
post #5 of 33

Yeah. She said that when the RSVP's starting coming in, everybody that has responded so far has said they were bringing 2-3 people with them. I want the cake to look good, as I am trying to drum up business. But that's a huge change in the numbers, and they are planning on keeping the top layer for the first anniversary. Also, she sent a text requesting sugar free flavorings (hazelnut, french vanilla, and caramel), since the bc frosting can't be sf. Luckily I have those flavorings at the house.
Then she wanted to use splenda instead of sugar.....NOT....told her that already.
I also told her that there could absolutely be no more changes on her side. I have done a few 2" tiers (for my own kids). I think the 4" look better, but working 10-17 hour days doesn't give me much time. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

heather208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather208 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:47am
post #6 of 33

This may not be a very popular idea but considering the circumstances....what about having the 2 tier cake decorated nicely that was initially asked for and then "kitchen cakes" for the rest?

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 7:39am
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanienee

I also told her that there could absolutely be no more changes on her side. I have done a few 2" tiers (for my own kids). I think the 4" look better, but working 10-17 hour days doesn't give me much time. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I totally agree the 4" does look much better. I think it can be done.

Question - Do you have anyone that can help you out. Like make your buttercream for you? Color the buttercream for you? ETC....This way you could bake little by little like previously suggested and still have the fabulous finish.

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 8:02am
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumlady

Quote:

I totally agree the 4" does look much better. I think it can be done.

Question - Do you have anyone that can help you out. Like make your buttercream for you? Color the buttercream for you? ETC....This way you could bake little by little like previously suggested and still have the fabulous finish.

i wuld just tell her what you are comfortable doing in that time frame. let her know that you agreed to making cake for 50, maybe you can fins a happy medium? what about some cupcakes with a simple swirl? and wait a minute.....
WHO THE HECK R.S.V.P's TO A WEDDING AND SAYS THEY ARE BRINGING 3 EXTRA PEOPLE?!?!
how tight can the brid budget be is she can afford to feed and extra 100 guests?!?! something doesn't sound right.

Sugar_Jones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Jones Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 9:10am
post #9 of 33

This is totally crazy ... You should ask her to pay you for the extra 100 people ... don't kill yourself this will NOT give you any business ... Believe me I did it and It didn't work ...

You should make a cake for just 50 people! That's what you agreed ...

Chonte is right something doesn't sound right. NOBODY tells a bride "I'm bringing 3 extra people! sorry but that's a big lie ...

Good luck!

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:04pm
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Jones

You should make a cake for just 50 people! That's what you agreed ...
Good luck!

THIS^^^^^^

Is what you should focus on and live by or else you will let others drive you crazy. You offered 50, and 50 is what she shall get for free. If she wants or needs more CHARGE HER FOR IT. If she wants flavor changes CHARGE HER FOR IT.

If you don't feel comfortable, don't charge alot for your time. Get back your cost in expenses and at least a hourly wage you feel comfortable with, but for goodness sake, don't do 100 extra servings for free!

platinumlady Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:05pm
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonte

WHO THE HECK R.S.V.P's TO A WEDDING AND SAYS THEY ARE BRINGING 3 EXTRA PEOPLE?!?!
how tight can the brid budget be is she can afford to feed and extra 100 guests?!?! something doesn't sound right.

It's really not rare, if you think about it. If you send out 1 RSVP per household & their are 5 living there...then they would say themselves + 4 to cover everyone. Or
A person dating bring their mate themselves + 1

Unfortunately the bride will send out 50 invitations & just count 50 and not take in to count the other family/household members

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:35pm
post #12 of 33
Quote:

Well, with the last minute changes, would it be okay for me to do a 4 tier round cake (wilton pan sizes 6, 8, 10, 12) and torte the layers instead of baking double layers?

Even if these sizes were 2" tall double layers, they wouldn't serve 150.

If you decide to accept the changes, you might consider making 4" tall tiers of a 14" square with a 12" round on top (to serve 154) and the 1st anniversary cake can be either an 8" or 6" round.

If you don't accept the request for a cake that's three times larger than originally expected, perhaps you can suggest they buy sheet cakes to make up the difference in servings added to the original two-tier design.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:54pm
post #13 of 33
Quote:

Quote:

It's really not rare, if you think about it. If you send out 1 RSVP per household & their are 5 living there...then they would say themselves + 4 to cover everyone. Or

Unfortunately the bride will send out 50 invitations & just count 50 and not take in to count the other family/household members

That is unheard of!...if you send out an invitation that INCLUDES the household then you count on that as your possible headcount. The invitations should be addressed to who they are inviting...Mr and Mrs plus Johnny and Sally so and so...or just Mr. and Mrs. If it's just them then their kids are not invited. This isn't a party ...it's a wedding! You have to plan for a certain number of people to remain within a budget. And if you don't want children to attend, then they are not included in the invitation....nor are friends of the invitees.

And I totally agree..if the bride can afford to triple her other food then she should be able to make up the difference for the other 100 on her cake. You only agreed to a free cake for 50!

Don't be a doormat on this one! But if she pays I'd definitely make the 4" tiers. You can do it using the schedule I suggested. It would be only 4 cake layers to bake a night for 2 nights. then freeze and later crumb coat and frost the same way. If you are trying to represent your business I'd want it looking perfect. Though I don't blame you for feeling put out. It can be done! But I would make her pay for the difference! Good luck!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:27pm
post #14 of 33

I am sorry, but if you are trying to drum up business then making a 2" wedding cake layer is not the way to do it. If I went to a wedding and saw that, I would NOT order a wedding cake from you. I would think you made ugly cakes just cause of the height alone.

And as far as 50 going to 150, why would you still kick in the difference? And then she asks for expensive splenda?! This is someone taking advantage of you. You need to tell her you agreed to a cake for 50. She needs to kick in for the difference. Like someone else said, if she can all of a sudden pay for food for 100 more when she said 50, she can pay the difference on the cake.

As far as invites go, if I invite you and those in your hosuehld, I know how many I'm inviting. I invite the husband, I know he has a wife and 3 teenagers, I know I just invited a total of 5 people. I think with a wedding, someone is very aware of that. At my wedding my husband decided to only invite his uncles and aunts, cause that's what we could afford. We sent an invite to his uncle who RSVP'ed with ALL his adult married children with grandkids who DO NOT live with him. My husband called him and told him that invite was for him and his' wife, no one else.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:38pm
post #15 of 33

CWR41 is correct. The tiers only add up to 118 servings (2 layers) and 130 if they decided to cut up the 6" tier instead of saving it. I did a wedding in June that served 280. We did a 12, 10, 8, 6 and then 3 - doubled 9x13 sheet cakes to match. We gave them a 4" personal cake separately for the anniversary. What if you did the tiered cake and she ordered sheet cakes of the sugar free nature somewhere else (at her expense) Or have you make them if she buys the ingredients? They would not be as time consuming unless you decorated them to match. I too, work 10 hours a day and have spent many nights baking into the wee hours of the morning. Not fun! Best of luck getting through this.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:45pm
post #16 of 33

I would tell her she could have anything she wants (and that you were comfortable making) and give her the cost for those extra things....

everything over the original agreement...+100 (106-112 if you don't normally give away an anniversary tier), the added cost of special fillings (if you normally charge extra for them)

Tell her she needs to let you know before 6p.m. today how she'd like to proceed. If she opts for the changes, let her know when she should/could pay for those changes.

If you accept the changes without charging, I would definitely recommend full sized tiers as opposed to the single tiers.

platinumlady Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:58pm
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Quote:

Quote:

That is unheard of!...if you send out an invitation that INCLUDES the household then you count on that as your possible headcount. The invitations should be addressed to who they are inviting...Mr and Mrs plus Johnny and Sally so and so...or just Mr. and Mrs. If it's just them then their kids are not invited. This isn't a party ...it's a wedding! You have to plan for a certain number of people to remain within a budget. And if you don't want children to attend, then they are not included in the invitation....nor are friends of the invitees.

I'm not saying that this is okay...I'm just saying I've seen it. Not all brides does that but I've ran into this before I even started doing cakes. Neither was I suggesting she be a door mat for anyone. I'm just stating ... that this happens a lot. I've receive RSVP where it had a space to add additional guest & it was only addressed to me. So yes it is heard of. Not saying it's the best way to go...but none-the-less it happens

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 4:10pm
post #18 of 33

Our guest list was like that when we were married too. My husband is from such a large family that we would send one invitation but would get a rsvp for 8 because of the kids or an older niece or nephew wanted to bring his/her date. However, we are all pretty close so we took that into consideration when we were planning. Even now, when someone sends us an invite, we have to rsvp for 6. So, I can see how it happens. However, that is a HUGE jump in expenses when it is a freebie.

Chonte Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:21am
post #19 of 33

family is one thing, i come from a large family too but you know how many family members you have and therefore you would include them in your wedding count. if you know uncle bob has 9 kids then you include 10 in you count... not 1 and you send the invite to "The Bob Family". it's ridiculous for someone to get an invite to a wedding and think "cool i'll bring 4 people with me" unless their invite is addressed to those 4 people. i guess everyone has different rules of etiquette
and regardless, like i said if she can find the cash to pay for all these extra dinners then she can find the cash to pay for extra cake.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:29am
post #20 of 33

I reckon I missed the part about what will be served at the reception. I assumed it was a cake only (and hopefully something to drink) type reception.

platinumlady Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 8:51am
post #21 of 33
Quote:

it's ridiculous for someone to get an invite to a wedding and think "cool i'll bring 4 people with me" unless their invite is addressed to those 4 people. i guess everyone has different rules of etiquette

It could be a location thing ... I don't know ... however, I've had family members & friends do this to find out what the head count is gonna be. For example sent out RSVPs before the "Wedding Invitation" to get a head count. Had a deadline on when to get the RSVPs back & in the Wedding Invitation itself had a smaller page (sorta like you see in Graduation Announcements) with name and how may they reserved & that was like the ticket into the reception. Others did basically the same but they had a wedding website they had to go to to RSVP by the deadline & then actual invitations sent out later. It has nothing to do with Etiquette...it simply means there are more than one (1) way of doing things. No right no wrong...just different strokes for different folks.

victoria7310 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoria7310 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 11:11am
post #22 of 33

She is taking advantage of you. Something doesn't make sense in her story, but even if it's true you never agreed to make a free cake for 150, so don't.

I don't think you should do 2" tiers. It will not look nice and reflect badly on your business/skills, defeating the purpose of your generosity. It will only save you in material cost anyway, your labor will be virtually the same.

I agree with everyone that you should charge for the extra but since time is your concern, I would simply tell her that you can not accommodate her request to triple the cake size, that you will make the cake as originally arranged and designed, with no unreasonable design/flavour changes, 50 servings 4" deep. If she wants additional cake, she needs to make alternative arrangements for sheet cakes either with you or somewhere else. If you can, I would make them and charge her. If she gets them from somewhere where the cake is not as tasty as yours, that will also reflect badly on you, as she may not admit that what people are actually ordering is from (for example) Walmart.

If you can pull it off and decide to make the larger cake, I would do 12" square, 10" round, 8" round. Charge her whatever your going rate is, for the additional servings. If she still wants an additional tier for her anniversary, then she pays for that too. You are not a charity, you were doing her a favor to promote business.

Good Luck.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:37pm
post #23 of 33

Okay, so where has the OP gone?

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:21pm
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Okay, so where has the OP gone?

She's working on the cake icon_lol.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:38pm
post #25 of 33

Amazing!

She IS taking advantage of you, but it's probably because she's OK with being taken adavantage of..............That's what her "guests" are doing by responding to an invitation addressed to "Mr. & Mrs. Joe Smith" WITH THE NUMBER 5...............She doesn't have the guts to tell them that the correct response is ZERO, ONE, OR TWO-----------not FIVE!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

As for the cake, she'd get a 2 tier for 50 for free and the rest would be on her head--er, wallet. Undecorated kitchen cakes may be a good solution. Just remember, that many bakers don't allow cake from another source because they don't want guests to confuse the "WalMart" cake with their product icon_wink.gif

I really doubt that you'll ever get any business (that you'd want) from a crowd that has the nerve to triple a head count............because they "can"....DUH! Just don't make your loss any larger than it already is.

JMHO
Rae

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:41pm
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather208

This may not be a very popular idea but considering the circumstances....what about having the 2 tier cake decorated nicely that was initially asked for and then "kitchen cakes" for the rest?

I like this idea. I would just politely tell her that there is no way you can handle a tiered cake, at such short notice, that is three times the size originally agreed on, but you can provide undecorated, plainly iced, sheet cakes for the additional servings.

EDITED to add: I would charge her for anything in addition to the originally planned cake.

Chonte Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:14am
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Amazing!

She IS taking advantage of you, but it's probably because she's OK with being taken adavantage of..............That's what her "guests" are doing by responding to an invitation addressed to "Mr. & Mrs. Joe Smith" WITH THE NUMBER 5...............She doesn't have the guts to tell them that the correct response is ZERO, ONE, OR TWO-----------not FIVE!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

As for the cake, she'd get a 2 tier for 50 for free and the rest would be on her head--er, wallet. Undecorated kitchen cakes may be a good solution. Just remember, that many bakers don't allow cake from another source because they don't want guests to confuse the "WalMart" cake with their product icon_wink.gif

I really doubt that you'll ever get any business (that you'd want) from a crowd that has the nerve to triple a head count............because they "can"....DUH! Just don't make your loss any larger than it already is.

JMHO
Rae

AMEN!!

shanienee Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 11:50am
post #28 of 33

Well, I decided that since she sent me 3 different texts with various prices from different stores, that she can just get her cake from there. She made sure to let me know that a full sheet cake from a local GROCERY store, would be $46.69, and that it would serve 100 people....which is what she ordered. What pissed me off was that she sent me that particular text 2 times. So, instead of paying me extra, she got a plain cake. I sent her a message back letting her know, that since that was her choice, she could get the additional sheet cake to serve all of her guests. When first doing cake selections for the bigger cake, she was totally AGAINST sheet cakes, or even square cakes.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 12:27pm
post #29 of 33

Oooooooh I am just so proud of you! So proud! You teach people how to treat you.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:02pm
post #30 of 33

WooHoo! You go girl !

She clearly doesn't appreciate your kindness. icon_confused.gif

Hope she and her guests enjoy her previously frozen, bucket iced, dime-a-dozen grocery store cake icon_twisted.gif

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%