Cake Boards Before Or After Carving?

Decorating By ronronneuse Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 2:29am by ronronneuse

ronronneuse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ronronneuse Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I'm going to be helping with a very tall apple shaped cake (back to school!) and was wondering about the cake boards. Do you put them in before or after you carve? Both answers seem kind of ridiculous: carving with the boards in sounds hard/messy, separating a carved cake into layers in order to add the boards after the fact sounds even messier. What's the secret?
Thanks!

3 replies
ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 4

I stack layers, separated with cake boards, before carving. I did a large bulldog cake this way:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2078166

The layers were 12" rounds. I put all layers on 10" cake boards, positioned to allow me to carve without having to cut cake boards. I didn't want to risk tearing up the cake cutting boards. I used bubble straws in each layer to provide structural support. T

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 4

Defi itely put the boards in before carving, supported with whichever method you choose (straws, rowels, etc), but as the pp mentioned, make sure the boards themselves are smaller than the cakes in diameter. That way you can carve away to your heart's content and not run into the cardboard to have to cut as well.

ronronneuse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ronronneuse Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:29am
post #4 of 4

Yes, I was worried about tearing the whole thing up and having bits of cardboard in the cake thumbsdown.gif
Thanks for the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%