Getting Started

Business By ashleyyc7 Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 2:07pm by bakerliz

ashleyyc7 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 3

Hey guys!
So I'm 16 years old and my goal in life is to become a cake decorator. I was wondering on how I should get started. I've already started taking classes. Any ideas on what I can do to keep my knowledge growing?

2 replies
brenda549 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 3

As for decorating, practice, practice, practice. YouTube has great instructional videos. There are tons of tutorials here and all over the web as well.

Assuming you want to eventually run your own business and not work for someone else, I recommend if your high school offers business math classes, taking some of those as well. Taking business management, economics, and accounting courses at the college level will also help prepare you for the business side of things.

Good luck!!!

bakerliz Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 3

When people ask you to make a cake for them, instead of doing it for free, do it for supplies icon_smile.gif Let them cover the cost of the ingredients and say "I can make that for you, but I need you to buy this special pan" It's a great way to grow your supplies without spending a ton of cash. And people are happy to do it because they are getting a cake they couldn't afford to buy at full price while you get to practice your skills!

Quote by @%username% on %date%