Making Buttercream Icing / Frosting White

Baking By MissCakeCrazy Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 12:30am by klutzy_baker

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 7

Can someone please tell me what colour I need to get to make buttercream white? Which is the best brand I can buy in the UK?

6 replies
dorothymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorothymarie Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 7

There is nothing you can mix to make white. It is the absence off all color. You have to start with white. Make your icing using all white ingredients to get white.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 7

For a pure white frosting, use clear vanilla and no butter. I do not use butter at all (I live in Arkansas with heat and humidity), I only almond and vanila, but some people use a clear butter flavor or emulsion. I personally hate the fake butter flavor thumbsdown.gif

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 7

You can add a tiny touch of violet gel paste (start small, you can add but can't take away) to balance out the yellow of butter (if you are using a butter recipe).

If you want a pure white colour you need to use a shortening (UK brand is called Trex) based recipe.

You could try use bright white powdered colour in it, but I have never added that to buttercream so not sure if it would work.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:10am
post #5 of 7

.......There is nothing you can mix to make white. It is the absence off all color.............

True that white is the absence of all color BUT.............
Ever hear of blueing? *Years* ago it was a common additive to white sheets etc when washing clothes.
Decorator CAN use a *EVER SO LITTLE BIT* of blue or purple color to off set the butter color.

Also, the more you blend the shortening and butter the whiter the color. Beat (but on a slow-ish speed) your butter/shortening together well - like up to 10 minutes, then after you've add all ingredients again, slow speed beat your icing another 10 minutes or so. You will see an imporvement in how light it gets and not so yellow.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:13am
post #6 of 7

You can whiten buttercream with white food coloring. I haven't had to use it yet because my frosting has been white enough...and I use real butter, but my recipe has cream cheese in it and when they are creamed together, it gets fairly white. But the bakery I worked at used the same recipe and sometimes they would need to whiten it so they would add I believe CK gel white. I think Americolor gel has a white too.

One thing the bakery did (and I do) is layer the regular non-colored butter cream on first and then refrigerate until hardened and then the last couple of layers add the colored BC so you won't have a 'colored frosting' taste.

Oh...and I've heard of people using a pin prick of violet to regular BC to whiten it.

klutzy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutzy_baker Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:30am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

.......There is nothing you can mix to make white. It is the absence off all color.............

True that white is the absence of all color BUT.............
Ever hear of blueing? *Years* ago it was a common additive to white sheets etc when washing clothes.
Decorator CAN use a *EVER SO LITTLE BIT* of blue or purple color to off set the butter color.

Also, the more you blend the shortening and butter the whiter the color. Beat (but on a slow-ish speed) your butter/shortening together well - like up to 10 minutes, then after you've add all ingredients again, slow speed beat your icing another 10 minutes or so. You will see an imporvement in how light it gets and not so yellow.

Funny you mentioned that, because I was thinking of the practice when elderly women add blue rinse or undertone to eliminate the yellowing of grey hair. Some tend to over-do it and you see the poor ladies with purple hair.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just thought it was interesting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%