Candy Thermometer

Sugar Work By LisaPeps Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 4:19am by imagenthatnj

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 10

Can anyone advise what type of candy thermometer to buy? There are lots of different types so I don't know which to go for. I won't be making huge quantities so wasn't sure whether with the rectangle looking ones I would have enough liquid in the pan to reach the minimum liquid mark.

Ugh I need help, I need to get it this week.

9 replies
luvlaugh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvlaugh Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 10

I need to get one myself. Personally I would get the rectangle one just because it would be easier to get if I accidently drop it in. That's just because I'm clumsey(sp?) from time to time.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 4:47am
post #3 of 10

Lisa, I have had several digital ones, one being the top rated. Every one of them have been out of calibration. And not by a set amount... a different amount every time. I started looking inmy cookbooks and looking at pictures on websites of pro pastry chefs and one brand was always there. It is the $20.00 Taylor with the glass tube. And each one has been calibrated perfectly. Now this is all I will use. I make candy and use it for European buttercreams. My other favorite thermometer is the glass tubed chocolate thermometer that is shaped like a spatula. Not only is it great for chocolate, but perfect for checking room temp on cake batter.

Hope this helps. Susan

LisaPeps Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 9:54am
post #4 of 10

This one http://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showitem_imagedetail.aspx?isbn=B0000CFQN8 ?

I bought this one last night, but I could return it if it isn't suitable http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000095RBW/?tag=cakecentral-20

scp1127 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 10:27am
post #5 of 10

Lisa, that round one can be off, but you can just know how far off. I have the Taylor one that looks similar to the amazon one. But any of that kind will do. I kept getting water in the yellow one when I washed it. Check it for its accuracy with boiling water. Make something fun!

LisaPeps Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 10:37am
post #6 of 10

Thanks for your help Susan, I'll stick with the amazon one and see how that goes icon_smile.gif

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 10

I have had good luck with my instant read thermometer. It's one of the infrared ones you point and click and it gives you the temperature. I know several people use them.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 10

I bought this one at Williams Sonoma. I loved it (only thing is that the numbers on the side are tiny), so I bought one for my sister and another one for a friend in NZ.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/digital-oil-and-candy-thermometer/

I found out that these are the same:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AQL25/?tag=cakecentral-20

As usual, thermometers will work for some people, but not for others. I took a long time and this was the one that I liked the most. It's been working fine for me, my sister and my friend.

scp1127 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:09am
post #9 of 10

Imagenthatnj, I bought two digitals and later, both went out of calibration. My new KA ovens did the same thing when they were new. You don't know they are out, just things start cooking slightly incorrectly. They go bad just a little. Finally, I put all four... two digitals, Taylor, and that yellow kind... in boiling water. The two with the glass tube were accurate. The two digitals were off. So I started again with the test and both digitals were off again, but now different numbers. Both were only off 7 to 10 degrees, but in European buttercreams and candy, this is fatal. I gave up and threw them away. Just be sure to periodically check them. One was the top rated CDN. I don't think I have a problem with digitals, it's just when they go slightly bad, you have no warning. That was when I started looking closely at pictures in my cookbooks, shows on Food Network, and youtube, and the majority have the Taylors.

For the ones that read the surface, in situations where temp is critical, and it usually is in sugar, a surface reading will not work. The Taylors have a stand on the bottom to keep them off the bottom for an accurate read.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:19am
post #10 of 10

Thanks, scp1127. I'll keep an eye on them. I only make IMBC and the occasional homemade jam for fillings and swirls on cakes. I never trusted the infrareds and I read so many reviews on all of them...so tiresome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%