Baby Reveal Cake Not So Revealing!! Aaaagghhh!

Decorating By carmijok Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 12:27am by carmijok

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 6

Well I just made my friend's baby gender reveal cake (in my photos) and she loved it. So I'm thinking everything is OK but when I check my email this morning she has a picture of the slice they cut out (the corner) and the only color you see is a tiny layer of pink raspberry BC on the bottom of the cake and a big white layer of BC filling in the center!! I was mortified.

The original 'gift box' cake that held the pink filling was originally 3 layers...but for some reason, even with dowels, it was sinking the sheet cake I had below it, so I took a layer off to lighten it up. I had to make a heavy dam around the filling because it was loose and coming through so I'm pretty sure they just didn't slice deep enough into the cake. I have tried to reach her to no avail. I KNOW I didn't fill with plain BC but I want to hear from her. How embarrassing! I didn't even think to tell her how deep to cut into it. I figured they'd cut a big chunk out of it! Who knew?

Word of advice in doing these cakes...make sure you tell them to cut a real piece just in case! I'm so upset. What a disappointment for the big reveal. icon_redface.gif

5 replies
suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 6

Just for the record ~ that was the cutest cake ever! I love the design. I wonder if adding a little pink or red color to the batter would make a better reveal??

Anyway the idea is sooo cute!

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 6

I love your cake too! I agree with the P.P. about adding a touch of food coloring to the butter cream you will use as a dam as well!

carmijok Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzylynn58

Just for the record ~ that was the cutest cake ever! I love the design. I wonder if adding a little pink or red color to the batter would make a better reveal??

Anyway the idea is sooo cute!

Thank you. I thought it turned out cute...but the whole point of it was kind of frustrating when she didn't cut far enough into it.

I actually did ask her if she wanted the cake to show the color but she wanted just the filling...grrrr. I hesitated to use any color for the dam because I didn't want to take the chance of it showing through.
My bad...but thank you for your nice comments!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 6

All the reveal cakes I saw were colored batter--- more dramatic, I am sure. Great cake!

carmijok Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:27am
post #6 of 6

Well I finally heard from my friend and she said everything was fine...they'd cut into it more and found the real pink layer and they really loved it and have more pictures and everything. So I feel better. But I now know what to do when and if faced with another one of these cakes! Thanks for the nice comments everyone and letting me vent/panic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%