Help With Pricing

Decorating By not_the_cake_boss Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 2:08pm by TexasSugar

not_the_cake_boss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
not_the_cake_boss Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 6

I really need help with this one. It is my first wedding cake and I have no idea how much I should charge. The ingredients will cost approx $100.
It will be fondant covered with gumpaste gerbera daisy accents. I am including a pic she sent me as a sample, except she only wants 3 tiers instead of four. It will serve approx 100 guests.

Thank you.

I cant seem to add a photo to the post.

It is square and tiers will be 12. 10. 8, with each tier turned slightly for a spiral type effect.

5 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 6

To set a price you first need to determine your costs. You already have ingredient costs, but you also need to factor in labor and overhead. How long do you estimate it will take to complete the order from start to finish, and what do you pay yourself as an hourly wage? How much overhead do you have on a per-order basis (i.e. insurance, license fees, etc.)? Once you know your full cost for the cake, the price is typically your cost + 20-30%.

A 12/10/8 square cake makes 154 servings, for 100 servings you would want a 10/8/6 square. We would probably charge in the $6-7/serving range, but we have the additional overhead of a commercial kitchen rental since in CA (like many states) it is illegal to sell food made from home.

Serving sizes:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

not_the_cake_boss Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

To set a price you first need to determine your costs. You already have ingredient costs, but you also need to factor in labor and overhead. How long do you estimate it will take to complete the order from start to finish, and what do you pay yourself as an hourly wage? How much overhead do you have on a per-order basis (i.e. insurance, license fees, etc.)? Once you know your full cost for the cake, the price is typically your cost + 20-30%.

A 12/10/8 square cake makes 154 servings, for 100 servings you would want a 10/8/6 square. We would probably charge in the $6-7/serving range, but we have the additional overhead of a commercial kitchen rental since in CA (like many states) it is illegal to sell food made from home.

Serving sizes:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Thank you so much. A lot of great info. I really appreciate it!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
not_the_cake_boss Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:23am
post #5 of 6

Thank you very much.....makes everything clearer.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 6

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%