Duff's Products???

Decorating By Sarah2418 Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 9:28pm by LaWmn223

Sarah2418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarah2418 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone tried any of the Duff Goldman products? I would like to try the fondant, because I'm not very good at making fondant. If anyone has can you tell me if it's easy to work with, and the taste. I've tried Wiltons fondant and I DO NOT like it. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 8

Duff's fondant is not easy to work with but it does taste good. I use a mix of Duff's and Wilton. I started out wih 50/50 and as I've gotten better with it I now use about 75 (Duff's)/25 (Wilton). The only other products of his I've tried are the gel colors and they're fine.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 8

If you want delicious fondant to cover cakes, then make your own MMF...marshmallow fondant is wonderful. And it's very easy to make if you have a dough hook attachment for your mixer. It will not mold into decor as I find it to be very soft...much like Duff's. But it is so much less expensive than buying it. You can find it on here in the recipe section. Very tasty.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 8

I use Duffs when Im too lazy to make the MMF. I think it tastes good and for me its easy to work with. The wedding cake with blue draping is duffs fondant. Only thing is it is expensive. Ive read where its the same thing as fondarific but with his name on it, so you might be able to get it cheaper online, otherwise I use my Michaels coupons when I buy it.

luvlaugh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvlaugh Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 8

I have only tried the cookies & cream sprinkles. They were pretty good. Sadly, I have not had a chance to try anything else.

jennifer22780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer22780 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 8

personally, i only ue duffs fondant when i need black or red fondant sicne those colors are a pain to tint white fodant. however, it does taste much better than wilton, and i think i like the taste better than my mmf. hwoever, not easy to work with if you just use duff. it tears easily IMO. BUT it doesnt dry out so fast, so if you are slow when working with cutting things, etc, it would be helpful to mix duff fondant in with whatever you are working with.
another note, cost in NJ:
wilton 5 lb box: 22.99
duff 2 lb container: 19.99

so it is more than double the cost of wilton. its even more costly than the satin ice i get.

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 8

I almost exclusively use Duff's fondant. I've tried making my own, but I have trouble with it being the right consistency. I don't often cover my cakes with fondant, I use it almost exclusively for figures.

I do however, hate his yellow fondant! I bought one tub, and while most of the other colors are flavored buttercream, this one is flavored lemon! And it's excessively soft. I've been adding gumtex to it to work with, and that helps, but I am definitely not a fan of the yellow. I won't be buying that one again...

His dark brown fondant tastes like tootsie rolls, so I like that one icon_smile.gif

Like another poster responded, it is expensive, so I buy it with the Michaels 40% off coupons. I might try blending it with the Wilton stuff to make it go further though, I like that idea too.

LaWmn223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaWmn223 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 8

I also mix Duff fondant with Wilton, the wilton seems to hold up better in this heat. The only other product of his I have used is the texture set with the woven pattern in it. I used it on a buttercream cake this weekend...it did ok once I learned how to curve it around the cake since it is plastic...Also, I only buy Duff fondant when I have a coupon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%