How To Dry Out A Cake

Decorating By kathy164 Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 6:51pm by Elcee

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 6

How could I dry out a cake to use for a show. Instead of using a form. I have searched here but nothing is coming up. I have heard of drying them in the oven but dont know what temperature and for how long. Does anyone have any experience with this?? Thank you

5 replies
dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 6

I've seen a recipe for "show cakes" before. It's meant to be used for cakes which must be edible, rather than dummy/styrofoam.

Although it's technically edible, it's neither light nor especially tasty, but it holds up well.

I'll see if I can't find the recipe again. I'm guessing someone here at CC has it.

HTH

Edited to add:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-599383-0-days0-orderasc-.html
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-705160-.html&sid=976a905a14eb722e546e097a7ab8e5ac

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 6

What if you didn't add any oil or moisture when baking to start with? Then perhaps put it in the oven with just the light on.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 6

You can use RKT too.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 6

A styrofoam dummy would be my first choice. When we didn't know that dummy cupcakes were available, we air dried our own cupcakes for future displays. The problem is they will always ooze oil even years after they're dried as hard as a rock. If you're making a form recipe, just make sure it doesn't include oil.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:

I used this recipe for the ladybug cake in my photos. The ladybug, the petals and the center are all made with it. I still have the cake and it's still as pristine as when I made it back in January thumbs_up.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%