Molds For Fondant Scrollwork? How To Achieve This Look

Decorating By CakeItGood Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm by CakeItGood

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 8

We are trying to achieve a look similar to the one below. Mainly, the chunky looking fondant scrollwork. It looks like it may have come from a silicone mold of some sort, but I have searched multiple pages from a couple of cake supply stores and am not seeing anything close. Does anyone know how to achieve this look? I have a Cricut machine that can do something similar, but you can't do anything with variated depth.

This is the black and white "Bold Lace" cake from Real Simple. Many thanks! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
CakeItGood Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 8

Well, my picture did not go through, maybe the link to Real Simple will ....

http://www.realsimple.com/holidays-entertaining/weddings/cakes-catering/12-great-wedding-cakes-00000000006390/page4.html

Thanks!

pammm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammm Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 8

I've always thought this was done by hand??

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 8

There are several cakes on here that are just like this cake. Maybe, p/m that person and ask. People are ususally really nice . I too think it is all piped and no molds. hth

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 8

The bold scrollwork bits are fondant rolled into sausages then shaped to get the look. The lace bits are piped RI.

jaswili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaswili Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 8

I have done a cake similar to this and I used fondant shaped to how I wanted then placed on the cake using some royal icing as glue then when hardened off a bit I piped the detail in between some free hand and some using a template I made on tracing paper and had already scribed onto the cake before adding the fondant scrolls. Have fun with it x

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 8

Yea, those are rolled pieces of fondant.

Edna icon_smile.gif

CakeItGood Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 8

Just wanted to post a big thank you to everyone that responded! I had a feeling it was hand shaped, was hoping to find a time saver, but there are NO shortcuts in "good caking" thumbs_up.gif Thanks again for your help, I will post pictures of the end result.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%