Molds For Fondant Scrollwork? How To Achieve This Look

Decorating By CakeItGood Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm by CakeItGood

CakeItGood Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 8

We are trying to achieve a look similar to the one below. Mainly, the chunky looking fondant scrollwork. It looks like it may have come from a silicone mold of some sort, but I have searched multiple pages from a couple of cake supply stores and am not seeing anything close. Does anyone know how to achieve this look? I have a Cricut machine that can do something similar, but you can't do anything with variated depth.

This is the black and white "Bold Lace" cake from Real Simple. Many thanks! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
CakeItGood Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 8

Well, my picture did not go through, maybe the link to Real Simple will ....

http://www.realsimple.com/holidays-entertaining/weddings/cakes-catering/12-great-wedding-cakes-00000000006390/page4.html

Thanks!

pammm Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 8

I've always thought this was done by hand??

icer101 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 8

There are several cakes on here that are just like this cake. Maybe, p/m that person and ask. People are ususally really nice . I too think it is all piped and no molds. hth

LisaPeps Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 8

The bold scrollwork bits are fondant rolled into sausages then shaped to get the look. The lace bits are piped RI.

jaswili Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 8

I have done a cake similar to this and I used fondant shaped to how I wanted then placed on the cake using some royal icing as glue then when hardened off a bit I piped the detail in between some free hand and some using a template I made on tracing paper and had already scribed onto the cake before adding the fondant scrolls. Have fun with it x

tonedna Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 8

Yea, those are rolled pieces of fondant.

Edna icon_smile.gif

CakeItGood Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 8

Just wanted to post a big thank you to everyone that responded! I had a feeling it was hand shaped, was hoping to find a time saver, but there are NO shortcuts in "good caking" thumbs_up.gif Thanks again for your help, I will post pictures of the end result.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%