Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By Rowena1957 Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 5:15pm by tonedna

Rowena1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rowena1957 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 7

Everytime I try to make gumpaste flowers I color the gumpaste and then it gets so dry it cracks and is hard to roll out, and the flowers fall apart. What am I doing wrong? Please any advice I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

6 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 7

Knead in some shortening. Also, if you make your own gumpaste, don't add as much powdered sugar.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 7

It's the paste you are using. I'm happy to share my class paste with you. Just PM me. Your gumpaste should not do that.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 7

There are a couple of fixes for this. If you are using powdered color add tiny amounts of glycerin to keep it soft. Using very small amounts if shortening will help too.

It sounds like your gumpaste is too dry. Try mixing in some fresh fondant or softer gumpaste to your batch. If you have dried edges, remove those and toss them in the trash.

When making dark colored flowers start with a light version and the dust them with the darker color(s). You will almost always need more than one color to get a realistic look. The backs of petals should be lighter anyway. Using lighter colored paste could help with your problem.

If you make your own gumpaste be sure to let it rest over night for the gums to fully absorb the moisture.

All these little things can make a huge difference in your gumpaste and finished product.

I'll keep checking back if you have more questions.

HTH

Michele

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 7

You can just keep kneading in more shortening and it should get/stay nice and pliable (unless it is really dried out to the point where it has hardened). I keep a little container of shortening next to me while I'm working and as I go to use the gumpaste I grease my hands and knead the gumpaste a bit.

Also, keep an upside down cup to cover your fondant that you aren't immediately using to keep it from drying out. You can wrap it in plastic too, but I find it easier to just pop it back under the glass.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 7

I use Wilton's pre-made gum paste. I have had wonderful results with it...but you do need to use shortening too. I rub my hands, the rolling pin, and the mat with it. And you can get the gum paste very thin without cracking too.
Hang in there!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 7

It really depends on the gumpaste you are using. Wilton gumpaste tends to dry faster than other gumpaste. Satin Ice gumpaste dries a bit slower but takes longer to dry. I have the recipe for tylose gumpaste in my website. There is a tutorial on how to make it too. It's really easy to make an inexpensive and works great for gumpaste flowers, specially if you are a begginer. Just always keep in mind that any gumpaste you use you have to mantain covered and work fast with it so it doesnt dry.

I dont like Bakel's gumpaste, CK powder gumpaste or gum tex from Wilton..Their quality is terrible.

Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%