Help Please! Where Do I Begin To Freeze A Cake?

Decorating By Torimomma Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 11:21pm by Torimomma

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 11

My DD's party is Saturday and I want to make her a 6",8", 10" buttercream layer cake. I'm new to frosting cakes smooth so it takes me a while and I am also a student so my free time is limited. I was thinking I'd make the cakes early in the week, frost them smooth and freeze them. Then on Saturday morning add my pre-prepped fondant accents, buttercream borders and topper.
What I want to know is, is it best for me to freeze the cakes unfrosted or frosted? If unfrosted, do I level first? Do i need to wait for the cake to defrost before adding the fondant accents?
Thanks for looking!

10 replies
sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 11

I freeze my cakes not frosted. I cover them in saran and then a layer of aluminum foil and freeze them while they are still warm from the oven. When I pull them out of the freezer that is when I level them and then I dam/fill/frost them.

I'm sure you'll get lots of varying responses on this, as I think everyone adapts their own technique to what works best for them. There probably is a way to freeze them already frosted, but I've never done it.

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 11

I usually freeze my cake unfrosted also. I actually use 2 layers of saran and 2 layers of foil. I have froze them both warm out of the oven as well as cooled off, both ways still produce a nice moist cake when unthawed.

I have froze cakes frosted with BC and Fondant. These ones I placed the cakes in the box and covered the entire box the same way as above.

When thawing both ways, I leave the cakes covered in the foil and saran wrap until completely thawed, either overnight or I pull them out in the morning before work so they are ready when I get home.

Once unwrapped decorate with your pre-made decorations. Hope this helps!

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 11

I do my before also.. Make sure u cover the cakes real good so the don't get freezer burnt.. Thats happend to me.. icon_confused.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 11

This is what the bakery I worked for did...and this is what I do. After baking and letting your cakes cool, wrap tightly in Saran Wrap...I use several layers. No need to foil...they're not going to be in there that long. Freeze until the day before they're due.

Take them out...unwrap, fill and crumbcoat still frozen. Things go on more smoothly and faster when they're still really cold. Put back in the refrigerator...not the freezer.
Get the crumbcoat solid and then smooth your frosting on. I do mine in layers and cool in between because the BC hardens and you can smooth the next coat on more easily without ripping the cake or frosting underneath.

After the cake is covered (can't see cake any more thru the frosting), then just set it back in the refrigerator (not freezer) and take out, stack and decorate the next day.

Buttercream protects the the cake...it won't dry and it will be thawed slowly in your fridge.

I always deliver a cold cake (easier to transport) an hour or two before an event. There it comes to room temp slowly and everything is fresh.

( I don't cover my cakes with fondant...just the decor BTW) HTH!

Torimomma Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 11

OK, I see most of you freeze unfrosted so I'll try it that way. Then take them out of the freezer Friday evening and begin the frosting, refrigerating in between. Another reason I wanted to make the cakes early is because I've never made a 10" so I need to make sure it cooks thoroughly with enought time to make another if it bombs!

I'm Super Excited icon_biggrin.gif about this cake and I hope it turns out well.

TKS! thumbs_up.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:30am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torimomma

OK, I see most of you freeze unfrosted so I'll try it that way. Then take them out of the freezer Friday evening and begin the frosting, refrigerating in between. Another reason I wanted to make the cakes early is because I've never made a 10" so I need to make sure it cooks thoroughly with enought time to make another if it bombs!

I'm Super Excited icon_biggrin.gif about this cake and I hope it turns out well.

TKS! thumbs_up.gif

Be sure and use a flower nail or core...that will help. Someone on here also suggested using a cleaned soup can as a core and I've done that before...it works too.

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:27am
post #8 of 11

Oh that's a new one, so would you put batter into the interior of the soup can like you do a heating core? (sorry to hijack the post).

My 2c worth, I would freeze unfrosted too and defrost before putting any fondant accents on. Good luck.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:23am
post #9 of 11

Carmijok are you using american buttercream with your
process?? I would like to try but I do not use SMB or IMB it's just to hot and humid here.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:27am
post #10 of 11

I vote for unfrosted freezing. I've seen cakes that have been frozen frosted and moisture forms between the icing and the cake - when the cake is cut into, the icing falls off in sheets. Not pretty.

Torimomma Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 11

DeniseNH you scared me to death! I'd DIE if the icing fell off!

Carmijok, thanks for the flower nail tip. I think I have one old #7 metal nail so I'll bake the 10" one at a time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%