Best Turntable For Tilting?

Decorating By lstalder Updated 26 May 2016 , 3:42am by maybenot

lstalder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lstalder Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 19

I'll be doing a fair amount of scrollwork on the side of some upcoming cakes and am considering getting a turntable that tilts. I've only seen the one from Wilton. Does it help to have a tilting turntable and if so, is the Wilton one ok? thanks

18 replies
MPH32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MPH32 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 19

I hate my Wilton as it seems unstable if I place anything even slightly heavy on it. Try Ateco brand.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 19

Do NOT get the wilton....super unstable.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 19

I have the old Wilton one (lightweight, black rubber top) and it's pretty bad.

I bought the new Wilton one (heavy, ball bearing turntable w/ purple spiral no-skid top) and it's wonderful. Pricey, even w/ a 50% off coupon from JoAnn--about $40.

Rae

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 19

Do you think the heavy duty Wilton one is comparable to the Atco or Fat Daddios one? I need another, but I really don't feel like paying for another fat daddio's.

BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Do you think the heavy duty Wilton one is comparable to the Atco or Fat Daddios one? I need another, but I really don't feel like paying for another fat daddio's.

I guess to compare apples to apples, you'd be talking about the metal turntables made by these companies. They don't tilt and I know that at least the Wilton metal one doesn't use ball bearings. I had it for about 5 mins. and took it back because it wobbled. The ball bearing turntables don't wobble.

Truth is, I rarely use my cake turntable for anything that stays flat. I have a large lazy susan with ball bearings and I mainly ice & decorate on that. I think it cost me about $12 at Costco.

The new Wilton one I have that tilts is the Ultra Trim & Turn Tilting Turntable and it's weighted plastic.

Rae

QTCakes1 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 19

I thought of a lazy susan as well, but I've always wondered how much weight they can hold and still turn smooth. For example, could they hold up a 16" square red velvet cake, covered in fondant, and still spin like it's been freshly greased, ya know? If it strong enough, $12 sound lovely!

BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 19

The reason I prefer the lazy susan is because it's much larger than the turntable, so it will hold a 12/14/16" cake comfortably and yes, it does spin just fine when weighted down--not very fast, but still smoothly.

Rae

QTCakes1 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 19

Good to know. Thanks!

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 19

I have the PME tilting turntable. Very stable, works like a charm. You can find it on amazon.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 7:52pm
post #11 of 19

@gramof5, I was just looking at the PME tilting turntable for my extension work. Do you like it?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:49am
post #12 of 19

I have the old Wilton one and it drives me crazy! The top is not attached to the bottom. I'm used to picking up turntables by the top (bad habit, I know!) and I'm constantly dropping the bottom of the tilting one. I want one that stays together because I might go bat poop crazy if I drop the bottom one more time and struggle to get it back together without messing up the cake.

kndmagnus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kndmagnus Posted 24 May 2016 , 9:35pm
post #13 of 19

I don't like that the top of the pme comes right off the base! 

Anyone ever tip a cake right off?

sweetceces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetceces Posted 25 May 2016 , 3:02am
post #14 of 19

[postimage id="3979" thumb="900"]i specialize in scroll work and i have never used a tilting wheel. it just screams trouble to me personally. what ive  always done is put my wheel up on a bucket so that it was higher and made it easier to work with. and my scrolls have always come out perfect.

kndmagnus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kndmagnus Posted 25 May 2016 , 10:48am
post #15 of 19

That is beyond amazing...

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 25 May 2016 , 2:53pm
post #16 of 19

Sweetceces, your cake is so beautiful!! Love all of your piping!! I, too had a Wilton turntable but it was so flimsy. I bought a glass turntable from Big Lots about 6 years ago that works great for me and it is super wide.  My glass one has a beautiful bird design.  I think I threw out my Wilton one into the garbage!!!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 25 May 2016 , 8:18pm
post #17 of 19

There are certain applications where a tilting turntable is a necessity, not just an option. 

A few years back, I bought the Wilton Tilt-N-Turn Ultra Cake Turntable and I really like it.  I use it when I do stringwork and haven't had any problems with the cake sliding, etc. 

sweetceces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetceces Posted 26 May 2016 , 2:20am
post #18 of 19

when would it be a necessity? ive done lots of cakes so i just ask, i cant think of one personally and ive been decorating for  a while

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 26 May 2016 , 3:42am
post #19 of 19

With Australian and bridgeless stringwork, it's helpful in achieving a consistent, gentle curve.

20 degrees is great for stringwork or other piping where you need a little gravity behind you. Also a great angle to aid with painting
45 degrees is a great angle for side and top work

60 degrees, with the cake almost on its side is great for achieving scrolls

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%