Castle Cake.....any Tutorials Or Videos

Decorating By evans000 Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 1:24pm by Justforfun751

evans000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evans000 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:25am
post #1 of 6

Hi guys i have been asked to make a castle cake which i'm really looking forward to. I know how i want it to look but i would be interested if there were any tutorials or does anyone have any links for a video.

I still have questions how to make the turrets, do i use solid fondant, cover ice cream cones in fondant or is there a cake tin for that shape.

Also the brick effect on the castle how is that done?

Any advice and tips would be really really helpful

Thanks Helen

5 replies
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:56am
post #2 of 6

Just google "castle cake tutorial". It brought up both photo tutorials and youtube videos. Here are a few of the links that came up on the first page:

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 9:11am
post #3 of 6

ive made a few castle cakes you can check my photos to see them.
the easiest way for me was to use the wilton castle set.
ive never done the ice cream cones before.
to get the brick effect i used an impression mat.
you could use the mat on either fondant or buttercream. if using on buttercream just make sure it crusts well.
HTH

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 6

I used the wilton castle cake set too. The cake I made was for my grandson so I did not feel bad about "everything is edible", problem was people wanted to over and over again. Not sure what design you are using, I used the Wilton horse shoe cake to add a cute little lizzard around it. Bricks were easier to add with impression mat. I used a cheap one I got for like $4. Good luck.

whitneyp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitneyp Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:43pm
post #5 of 6

I just made a castle cake last week, I used the Cake Boss tutorial. Instead of a paper towel roll, I used a gift wrap roll and the sugar cones (convered in fondant) slid perfectly over top. I thought that made it much easier, and my next castle I will do the same. Good luck!!

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 6

You can also look at some of the ones posted on this website and ask - Cre8ivSue did a terriffic sand castle with spiral steps, caramel candy squares, and rice krispy turrets in which she described how she did it in the description and comments.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1409533

Debbie Brown has a couple castles in her book "50 Easy Party Cakes". She used stacked swiss rolls for the turrets. She used various sized flattened balls of multiple shades of grey fondant to make a rock castle. If you like multi-colored bricks, you could use flattened rectangles of fondant (but I think that would take forever!)

For a brick look, I'd consider scoring either crusting buttercream or fondant with a ruler for the horizontal lines and with the end edge of a spatula for the vertical ones.

Sounds like a fun cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%