Help With Gnache Please

Decorating By Joy2501 Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 8:15am by Bluehue

Joy2501 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:29am
post #1 of 3

So I am doing my first gnache covered cake in a couple of weeks and I have some questions.
1. Does the gnache set/harden?
2. would there be any problem with putting an edible image on the gnache?
3. the cake is for a 21st and is a 2, a 1 shaped like a beer bottle and a key - (similar to a picture I found on CC) - any tips for getting smooth coverage on the shapes?

Thanks a bunch

2 replies
shanter Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:52am
post #2 of 3

It's ganache, so you could go to forums and then search for that word. There have been many posts about it.

Bluehue Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:15am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy2501

So I am doing my first gnache covered cake in a couple of weeks and I have some questions.

Will do my best to answer Joy

1. Does the gnache set/harden?
Depending of what chocolate you use - if a good quality milk or dark - then yes - it will harden - not rock hard - but firm to the touch.

2. would there be any problem with putting an edible image on the gnache?
No problem at all - allow the cake to settle and the ganache to set up/firm up and than after a few hours - you will be fine.

3. the cake is for a 21st and is a 2, a 1 shaped like a beer bottle and a key - (similar to a picture I found on CC) - any tips for getting smooth coverage on the shapes?
After you have put the ganache on the cakes - and smoothed it off the best you can with an of set spatular or flat bladed knife - (what we would commonly call a butter kniffe)
Then pour some boiling water from your kettle/jug into a a tall mug/jug - and then dip your off set spatular/flat knife into the water - drying it with some paper towell - then whilst the knife is still hot - go around and smooth the edges... and top.

That way your not dragging ganache off the cake whilst trying to get a smooth surface.

Hope this helps you

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Thanks a bunch

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%