Help W/monogrammed Cake & Sugar Flower Please!!!

Decorating By sleepy20520 Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 4:26am by mbark

sleepy20520 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:22am
post #1 of 7

I have a cake I have to do that is like this one, with the monogrammed top tier. Does anyone know how i would do this? would you recommend buttercream, royal, or fondant? would i use a stencil?
any help would be awesome!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Also, on the flower, does this look edible or a silk flower? and if its edible, can anyone give me any input on what kind of flower it is and how you make it? ive made a few flowers but nothing like this...

6 replies
bakerliz Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 7

Looks like a gumpaste flower to me though I don't know what kind. I think the monogram looks like excellent piping skills with royal icing. icon_smile.gif

Lemmers Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 7

Beautiful cake- not one I'd like to attempt as there is so much 'white' to show any little flaws! I need more 'stuff' to cover up the boo boos icon_wink.gif

But yes I'd agree that it looks like top notch royal icing piped, and gumpaste flower.

jaswili Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 7

Same here looks like the monogram has been piped directly onto the cake. You can trace a design onto tracing paper first then scribe it onto the cake so you have a design to go over and as for the flower to me it looks gumpaste and a "fantasy" flower and the leaves look like they have used lily cutters and embossed them and the centre has some plain stamens. You could always use cotton used for sewing wrapped around your finger on a loop about 30 times then when you take it off tie a loop tight in the middle then spread them and to give a fluffy edge you can rub the tips over some sand paper. Have fun and hope it is helpful. Amanda x

Torimomma Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 7

I just saw something online where the woman traced the monogram onto paper and then shaped very thin fondant strips and shaped them into the monogram. It looks very forgiving.

sleepy20520 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:47am
post #6 of 7

tori- thanks! i think im going to go with that method because it sounds easiest & most "forgiving" as you said icon_smile.gif

mbark Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:26am
post #7 of 7

that blog is fantastic, what a great way to do a monogram, thanks for sharing!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%