Scratch Rv Too Hard On The Edges With Square Pan

Baking By Normita Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 12:07am by Normita

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:09am
post #1 of 4

I have tried Martha Stewarts red velvet recipe and I love the taste. The round cakes and cupcakes bake nice, but when I bake in a square (magic line) pan the edges are so hard!! There's about a half an inch all around the edges that are too hard. I would have to trim away a lot of the cake. I only encounter this problem when using Martha Stewarts RV...not with 2 doctored RV recipes I have tried. I bake at 325.

Please help...I don't know what the problem is?!?! Maybe I have to try a new recipe?!?

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:28am
post #2 of 4

It sounds to me like you are over baking it.
Do you use wet baking stripes? That will help.
Also, as soon as you can the cake has cooled enough that you can handle it wrap it in plastic. Freezing it for a few hours (and up to as much as a yr) will help distribute the moisture and those hard corners will magically become soft and moist icon_smile.gif

Normita Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:27am
post #3 of 4

I use flower nails and bake even strips. I don't think I'm overbaking it cuz when toothpick is inserted crumbs stick to it. I also wrap and freeze but even like that it still has crusty edges. It's only in the square pans...I don't know what the heck is wrong!!

Normita Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:07am
post #4 of 4

Any other suggestions?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%