Difference In Serving Size Charts

Decorating By deetmar Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 10:03am by platinumlady

deetmar Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 11

Why is there such a huge difference in the serving charts. Earlene's say's a 16" square feeds 112, Wilton 80 and the calculator says 64. This is a HUGE difference. Why is this so confusing? I always went off of Earlene's and now I am worried that I shorted my brides before this and don't know how to figure going forward.

The calculator doesn't allow for hexagon or different shapes which makes it even harder to calculate, How do we know which is right?

10 replies
LisaPeps Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 11

I believe that Wilton's serving chart is the industry standard.

leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 11

According to the Wilton chart a 16" square serves 128. Not sure what you're looking at.

The Wilton wedding serving chart is the industry standard for cakes. Wedding or party, use the W wedding chart.

Kitagrl Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 11

Wiltons is 128 servings for a 16" square.

I usually use Earlene's, and then round up some so its sort of a rough average between Earlene's and Wilton's.

CWR41 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:07am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetmar

How do we know which is right?

You can calculate it yourself...
16x16=256 surface square inches
divided by 2 (2" long serving)=128 servings

For round cakes...
Half diameter=radius
Radius squared (times itself) x Pi (3.14)=surface square inches
Surface square inches divided by 2 (2" long serving)=servings total.

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:11am
post #6 of 11

I like to give myself a little more cushion than that....to protect myself from server error.

If a bride has 128 guests who all want cake, and orders 128 slices of cake, and the servers drop a slice on the floor or mess up a couple slices, or accidentally cut a few too large, then they'll think I didn't provide enough cake.

If I have a cushion...then if that happens...I can say, "Normal bakers provide this...I provide extra...you had plenty of cake."

kakeladi Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:20am
post #7 of 11

.......like to give myself a little more cushion than that....to protect myself from server error.......

This is true. There;s not many cake combos that will give a bride **EXACTLY** the # of servings she wants. This is where a good decorator/pro come into the picture by asking ?s. What time of day is the reception? What kind of food - sit down full dinner; buffet; cake & punch; an appitizer bar; a sweet table; hard liquor drinks??
All of those things enter into helping a bride/customer decide if they want a cake that is a little bigger (are they BIG eaters?) or take one that is say 10-20 servings smaller than their count.
If there is an appitizer bar, a full course sit down dinner AND an open liquor bar there are fewer people who are going to eat cake. A light buffet of appitizers, cake and punch reception - then you'd better advise bride to order on the higher side.

CWR41 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:57am
post #8 of 11

For the most part, the Wilton wedding chart is conservative with the "cushion" already built in... if you do the math, the actual servings are more than what's listed:
6" = 14 (not 12)
7" = 19
8" = 25 (not 24)
9" = 32
10" = 39 (not 3icon_cool.gif
12" = 57 (not 56)
14" = 77 (they overestimate 7icon_cool.gif
16" = 100

7 x 11 = 38.50 (not 32)
9 x 13 = 58.50 (not 50)
11 x 15 = 82.50 (not 74)
12 x 18 = 108 (not 9icon_cool.gif
14 x 22 = 154

ApplegumPam Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:56am
post #9 of 11

And if you are in Australia you will get twice as many pieces icon_biggrin.gif

because our industry standard is 1inch x 1inch x height of the cake (normally 4inches)

deetmar Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:37am
post #10 of 11

I must have been looking at the wrong chart at Wilton. I have always used Earlene's, then started thinking that I should check other charts to see if I was doing the right thing. When I look at the Wilton and there was such a huge difference, I panicked. I have never had a bride come back in 7 years and tell me she didn't have enough cake. I also round up to give more.

It was hard finding the Wilton chart on their website to begin with. Now I see I was looking at the party chart and not the wedding chart. It's a good thing they don't have a chart for my family, they would laugh if you have them a 2X2 piece of cake!

I also got a chart from one of the local bakery's to see how they were figureing their servings and pricing. I try to stay competitive in my area. If you charged $15 a serving, you wouldn't have any clients.

Thanks for all the help!

platinumlady Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 10:03am
post #11 of 11

Earlene's chart always shows fewer servings than Wilton...I read on her site that she made that chart for people that cut their cake slices larger than the standard 2 inch ... So that's why it's a difference in how many slices the get. So if your using Earlene's & the use the Wilton/standard cutting of the slices then they will actually have more slices than you charged them for ... hope that makes sense

I have a serving chart that has the Wilton serving right next to Earlene's serving chart....It was on my Cake Boss software & I can't copy & paste to here...but if you would like it I can email it to you if you pm your email addy to me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%