Has Anyone Tried Wilton's Color Mist Sprays?

Decorating By coloradoflower Updated 19 Oct 2015 , 7:49pm by Brookebakescake

coloradoflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradoflower Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 19

I was wondering if anyone has used the wilton's color sprays and had good results. I don't feel like baking it's too darn hot today, but I want to decorate a cake. I have a friend who works for the walmart bakery and said that i can pick up a plain white buttercream coated cake. I am just wondering if i get the green color spray if i can change the color of the buttercream or am I out of luck. I don't have an airbrush. Any insight would be grateful. Thanks.

18 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 19

Yes..I have tried them but honestly they smell and taste disgusting...At one time they smelt like mint and tasted the same.Wilton stated it was the flavor they used to cut down on the chemical spray but the smell made you sick...It is also very sporatic to use..It starts out okay and then can quickly clog and splotch...You also have to do several coats to get a good coverage.I have an airbsuh machine so I never use those but I guess they are okay in a pinch.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoflower

I have a friend who works for the walmart bakery and said that i can pick up a plain white buttercream coated cake.

Why not have Walmart spray it green?

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 19

The red on the kayak with this cake ( http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2011/05/bonne-fete-dan.html ) was done with the red Wilton spray. The spray worked fine, I didn't notice any smell and the people who ate it said it tasted good, but I only used a little and I sprayed it outdoors. I did think it was more a bit too orangey rather than a true red, but for what I needed it was fine. I can see where it would take alot to cover a large area completely and that might affect the taste.

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 19

I've used it quite a few times and loved it. Never had a problem with taste and it covers real well.

MamaMarsha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMarsha Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 19

I have used it a few times and never had problems with it, I don't have an airbrush so this works well for me when I need it.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:32am
post #7 of 19

The times I've used it it was ordinary at best.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:48am
post #8 of 19

I've tried it twice.... won't waste my money again. It took many coats to get decent coverage and was difficult to spray very light coats (without drips). I tried the gray and the black.

I just used my 40% off coupon to buy a Duff's airbrush, but haven't tried yet. Hope to play around with it this week....

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:52am
post #9 of 19

I tried the black and it was awful!! I had to start all over again!! Pretty disappointing! icon_sad.gifthumbsdown.gif

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:00am
post #10 of 19

I've used the blue and had no problems. I didn't do a heavy coat though. I didn't smell anything funny or taste anything funny.

shelbymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbymama Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:02am
post #11 of 19

I have used it to add a little color to otherwise plain cupcakes before I got my airbrush. I think it is ok for little jobs but I wouldn't use it to totally change the color of something.

BurnsyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BurnsyJ Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:27am
post #12 of 19

I used the pink to give these cupcakes a little color...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2042533

and I used the black around his guitar body to try to give it a sunburst look...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2019872

I did notice the smell while I was spraying, but I didn't notice a weird taste. I don't think I would use it to completely cover a large area, but it worked well as a highlight.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 1:50am
post #13 of 19

i used black it was horrid!!! it came out gray and was so uneven... i dont recamend dark colors

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:29am
post #14 of 19

After practicing with these Wilton sprays and loving the affect and ease I invested in an airbrush. I think they are a perfect way to work your way into airbrushing. I figured if I didn't like the sprays I probably wouldn't like an airbrush. Like with any other cake decorating techniques, it just takes a little patience an a little practice.

waggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waggs Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:45am
post #15 of 19

I have used the orange and yellow with no problem.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 3:09am
post #16 of 19

Cover you nose and mouth; don't breath it in or you'll be blowing it out of your nose for days. icon_wink.gif

YummyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyCreations Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 3:50am
post #17 of 19

I've used them very sparingly as they are just "mists" as the labels says and don't really change the color of the buttercream very much. I bought a Duff aibrush and I've used it on two cakes so far. The first time was to change fondant from dark green to black and the other to change fondant from white to silver and I really liked the results both times.

NicoleEshays1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NicoleEshays1 Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 11:32pm
post #18 of 19

I asked this very same question: "Why does color mist food spray taste weird?" I am doing a lot of DIY for my wedding, since I am a shoe designer at Eshays.com I figured it would be easy to just find some food color spray and color my cookies and   cupcakes Tiffany Blue. Tiffany Blue is my theme and I wanted blue cookies, blue macaroons and blue cupcakes so I was going to color them myself. After coloring the cookie with Color Mist Food Spray, I noticed the strong chemical smell and the taste was even worst. Is this even safe to consume? Wow! 

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 7:49pm
post #19 of 19

The smell is just the expectorant and is the same thing used in cooking sprays, etc . It should fade.  

As mentioned before, however, I would not rely on the spray to completely change the color of your items.  You should use food coloring to dye your frostings, royal icing, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%