Butterfly Cake

Decorating By melonball Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 5:20am by microunique

melonball Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a butterfly cake for my friends daughters birthday this weekend.
I decided to carve it from square rather than pay £20 for a butterfly tin.

Does anyone have any hints or tips for me? This is the first time I have carved a cake. I have made a template so I thought I'd cut round that for the outline then carve ridges etc, then fondant it.

I was then going to cover the board in royal icing 'grass' and add flowers, bees and lady bugs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

8 replies
simplysouthern Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:46am
post #2 of 9

Sounds like a great plan of action! Great thinking with the template, I use tempkates for everything lol. Can't wait to see pics, best of luck icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:25am
post #3 of 9

How about something like this? made out of a round (so no wasted cake!):

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2027827

and another great one, using same method: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2048302

hollyml Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 6:28am
post #4 of 9

If you haven't baked the cake yet, definitely use a round pan! Or two hearts, if you have heart-shaped pans, make a great butterfly too.

This is one I did for my daughter's birthday, using both types of pans -- at the time I didn't know anything yet about smoothing frosting icon_smile.gif but I think it came out cute, and you can see how the wing shapes are put together. The body piece in between the half-round wings was the scrap left from fitting the two heart-shaped wings together! (The other 'body' is just piped frosting.)

Freeze your cake before you carve; it's much easier to handle and cuts without ripping that way. Go ahead and make your paper template and put that right on top of the cake as a guide for your knife. I usually "score" the top of the cake around my template, and then remove the template and cut through along the guidelines I've made in the top. I find it easier to see what I'm doing that way.

Holly

sweetooth0510 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:30am
post #5 of 9

Agree, definitely go with a round rather than a square = less cake wastage. Cut your round in half and then back to back the round bits. You can then carve an indent into each wing to make it look like two wings.

She'll love it icon_cool.gif

melonball Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 10:04am
post #6 of 9

Thanks for all your suggestions!!
I had a bit of a disaster, was going to pipe the grass but it kept flopping!! So it was spread instead. Anyhow nearly there just off to the real paying job then I'll finish it off....

(shame i got so caught up I forgot breakfast!!)

melonball Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 9

Well it's all done!!

Check it out in my photos!!

Lili5768 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:08am
post #8 of 9

I know it's a litle too late, but for anyone that hasn't seen this, I always thought it was a pretty cute butterfly cake made easily from a round.

microunique Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:20am
post #9 of 9

Making butterfly cake on birthday party is now made easy and simple with this simple recipe that just bake 3 heart-shaped cakes in 9″ heart-shaped cake pan. Then use two of the 9'' heart - shaped hearts pans for the top wings.Now simply cut and trim the remaining heart cake to make it use as the lower wings.Then place 4 cupcakes in the center for the body.
Have fun frosting and got your ready to serve butterfly cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%