I Don't Know Why This One Is Giving Me So Much Trouble...

Decorating By tullicious Updated 23 Jul 2011 , 9:51pm by MyDiwa

tullicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tullicious Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 5

I keep asking about servings per cake size. I appreciate all the replies I've gotten. I'm making this for a friend. She wants two tiers, for sixty people, with "big enough" pieces and plenty of cake. She didn't want the standard size. I admit, I'm gonna eat my time and money on this. She wants it for $50. Hello Kitty with lots of bright colors. I miscommunicated at one point I admit, so I have to do this. Originally when we talked price I didn't know it was for 60 people. So what would you do for 60 people, with two tiers, and "plenty of cake", for $50????? Sometimes what should be easy flusters me so much. I guess part of me being a newbie. Thanks all....

4 replies
KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 5

That's less than $1.00 per slice! And she wants big enough slices? If you went to a restaurant and the serving size for french fries wasn't as big as you wanted, you would have to pay for more. You wouldn't tell them that the serving size needs to be bigger! So I would tell her that she would have to order a bigger cake. I follow the Wilton Serving Size chart. It is pretty standard. To feed 60, I would do a 6, 8, 10" (3 tiered round). I would never do anything that cheap, but I've been doing this for almost 10 years. When I was starting out, I did cakes for cheap because I was trying to get business and I wasn't as advanced as I am now. She may be able to find a sheet cake at BJ's or Sam's Club for that price. It's all up to you...if you want the experience then do it. But I wouldn't make it a habit of letting people tell you how big it has to be and how much they will give you.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullicious

I keep asking about servings per cake size. I appreciate all the replies I've gotten. I'm making this for a friend. She wants two tiers, for sixty people, with "big enough" pieces and plenty of cake. She didn't want the standard size. I admit, I'm gonna eat my time and money on this. She wants it for $50. Hello Kitty with lots of bright colors. I miscommunicated at one point I admit, so I have to do this. Originally when we talked price I didn't know it was for 60 people. So what would you do for 60 people, with two tiers, and "plenty of cake", for $50????? Sometimes what should be easy flusters me so much. I guess part of me being a newbie. Thanks all....

tell her to go to walmart. What im hearing is that she wants double the standard cake size which means that it's basically a cake for 120 people. sorry but you will be losing money on this one. if she is a good friend and you dont mind doing it then i would do a tiered cake. if she hid her intentions or you feel like she is taking advantage of you by not disclosing how many people the cake was for before you committed to doing it then tell her that you cant do it for that kind of money. sorry i've been having trouble with people trying to take advantage of my cake making. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullicious

She wants two tiers, for sixty people, with "big enough" pieces and plenty of cake. She didn't want the standard size.

The Wilton chart for party servings is plenty "big enough" at 1.5" by 2". She may be thinking the standard size is really small or something, but the Wilton chart gives good party size servings. If she wants bigger servings than that, she needs to order more cake, which would raise the price.

A two-tier for 60 people would have to be an 8" and 12" round.

If you have already promised her it would be $50, I guess you have to follow through. But if there's any way you could maybe tell her that you weren't aware of it being such a big cake when you quoted $50, and that you need more money just to cover your supplies for the bigger cake, you might do that.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 5

For 2 tiers, if you want really big servings (2"x2"x4"), try this:

round tiers (14" and 10")
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1300478

square tiers (12" and 10")
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1300479

But really, that's a lot of cake! And depending on your fillings etc, your ingredients and other materials are going to swallow up that $50 fast. So I'm not sure what medium you normally use, but I would stick to just buttercream in 2 different bright colors for each tier (no fondant as that's additional to the underlying BC). Maybe find pretty colorful ribbons to attach around the border of the tiers and ask HER to buy some Hello Kitty deco kits to stick on top. That's the cheapest, simplest idea I can come up with. Oh and use SPS and make sure she returns it to you to use again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%