Even Cake Busineses Can Get Scamed!

Decorating By mellormom Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 11:58pm by kakeladi

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 12

Or at least that is what the scammer thought. LOL
This one went all out. He had a fake wedding and even sent pictures of the cake he wanted and all of his flavor choices. He also had this whole story about how the first baker they hired had a death in the family and so that is why they needed a cake in such short notice. Then his fiance had a miscarriage so they had to postpone the wedding until September. Unfortunately for him I was on to him pretty quickly. I could smell this scam a mile away!
Watch out for people that try and buy a cake from out of state and then say they are coming to your state for the event. Also never accept a check that is not from the person you are dealing with. Also, never, ever cash the fake check they send you in the mail claiming if you cash it you can keep what you are owed and send them back the rest.
You can find out if a check is real by putting in the Routing number on-line.
In my case, the bank the check was written on was legit but the routing number was fraudulent.
You can also have your bank see if their are enough funds in the account the check was drawn on to cover it.
And if you start dealing with someone and you think they are trying to scam you then you can just simply say you don't have that date available. This way if they were not scammers you haven't offended anyone. I didn't do that because I really need money right now so I stuck it out until I had proof. (in the off chance it wasn't a scam)
Jen...

11 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 12

this scam sounds like the one scam where they are doing something similar but through TTY.

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 12

So sad. Just so sad.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 10:39am
post #4 of 12

Yes it is sad. I just feel bad for those who don't realize it's a scam and fall for it.
Jen...

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 12

What is the purpose of them to order a cake that they don't need? Are they just being mean?

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 12

They don't want the cake. What they want is the "extra" money they sent you. They usually send a money order or check that is way more than the purchase. Then they want you to give them the difference.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 12

They can be really clever...good thing you smelled a rat!

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 12

I'm with robinmarie on this one, I saw a post a while ago on here from someone who had this weird customer who thought it might be a scam, I thought this then and I'm thinking it now, why would someone phone a cake business and ask them for a cake they do not need? Just to be mean? they dont get anything out of it do they? I just dont see the point in going to that effort.... if someone knows the point could you please explain it to me? lol... and with the cheque, if you put it in the bank would it not just bounce and that be that? or is it different in the US?

I can understand that people scam to get something out of it for themselves, (I dont condone, but I see why people go to the effort if they get a payday!) but to ring someone and set up a fake date for them to make a cake which they arent going to get or pay for? I'm baffled!

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercullen

and with the cheque, if you put it in the bank would it not just bounce and that be that? or is it different in the US?

I can understand that people scam to get something out of it for themselves, (I dont condone, but I see why people go to the effort if they get a payday!) but to ring someone and set up a fake date for them to make a cake which they arent going to get or pay for? I'm baffled!

They do get something - they get the "extra" money you send back to them or give to their "shipper". And they ask for the "extra" money before the baker finds out the check bounces. It's also a common scam on Craigslist - someone wants to buy your item but sends a check or money order for too much - either by "mistake" or for you to give to their "shipper". When you send the overage, you're taking funds out of your own account - giving them REAL money. When the check or money order drawn on FAKE money are found to not be legit, your REAL money is already in the scammers hot little hands, leaving you without their promised FAKE money AND the REAL money you sent them!

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:40pm
post #10 of 12

Oh ok I see, although if it were me I would cash a cheque before I sent the extra back, I never thought about doing it like that! Thanks icon_smile.gif

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 11:03pm
post #11 of 12

But, if you cash the check and it ends up being bad - you can get charged a fee by the bank.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 11:58pm
post #12 of 12

jennifercullen said: .......I would cash a cheque before I sent the extra back............

BUT it takes up to 2-3 weeks for you/your bank to find out the check is BOGUS - there is NO money becasue there is NO such account. Then your bank reverses the moneys you got so now you are out all that cash.

Say they give you a check for $100 w/your fee is only $40; you cash the ck for $100; ahhh you think to yourself: " the check was taken by your bank - it must be good". Your bank now sends it on to whatever bank it is suppose to be drawn on and that bank informs your bank there is no such account so your bank now needs to recover that $100 BUT....as I mentioned this can take several weeks and in that time you have mailed the 'overage' of $60 to the theif icon_sad.gif Now your bank wants that money so they dock your account $100 and you start having checks bounce in your account icon_sad.gif Sooooo now you loose not only the original $40 you thought you earned, but the full $100 you got from 'cashing' their so called check *AND* now also the bounced ck fees in your account icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%