Please Help - Asap! Cake Not Level At Top...

Decorating By FancyNancysCakery Updated 23 Jul 2011 , 6:36pm by bakingpw

FancyNancysCakery Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 12

I have a 3 tier wedding cake to deliver in 3 hours and it is all ready to go, but the top tier looks a little lopsided. Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix it?

This is my first wedding cake and we live in a small town, could really start my business and I really want to get it right!

Thanks in advance

11 replies
bakingpw Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 12

Can you post a pic? If not, can you determine where the cake is higher, slide a spatula under the cardboard and lift the top tier off and cut the cake to level, re-ice the top and put back on top?

Try not to panic. Best wishes!

bakerliz Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 12

Is the top tier unlevel, or is the whole cake leaning?

bakingpw Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 12

At first, I thought you were saying it's the top cake tier that is not level...but, are you sure it's not the support system that's not level? How did you support it?

FancyNancysCakery Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 12

I originally thought it was just the top tier, but now that I look at it the middle is a little off also. Crap! I am really disappointed!

Anyway...here is a pic, not sure there is much I can do since I am not very experienced and I am VERY afraid I will do more harm than good.

I think the bride is putting flowers onto, so maybe it will not be noticed...

As for the supports, I put straws in the bottom tier, had straws to put in the middle, but forgot to put them in...then I have a wooden dowel from top to bottom.

Thanks everyone, wish me luck!

Occther Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 12

Okay - no support in middle tier to hold the top - and then a dowel down the middle? There is your problem. Will probably get worse. Hope the flowers help.

momg9 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 12

If I were you, I would take off the top and put the support in the middle. It will only get worse if you don't.

bakerliz Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 6:28pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by momg9

If I were you, I would take off the top and put the support in the middle. It will only get worse if you don't.

thumbs_up.gif

FancyNancysCakery Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 12

Ok, next question...how do I take it off when I have a dowel down the middle? I was going to take it off, but now I just don't know that I can...

Occther Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 12

Get a good set of pliers and grab ahold of the dowel and pull it out. Or try to lift off the top tier, then remove the dowel.

momg9 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 12

I would slide a spatula under the cardboard so you can get your fingers under it and lift straight up.

bakingpw Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 12

It's not too late - just pull out the dowel, remove, and redowel the center tier. Then reset and put dowel through.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%