My First Wedding Cake-- I Need Advice!

Decorating By AnnaCM Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 12:49am by klutzy_baker

AnnaCM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnaCM Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, this is my first forum post at Cake Central! thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

I am currently a Baking and Pastry student, graduating in February. My brother will be getting married in September and has asked me to make his wedding cake.

The plan is that the cake will be an Almond pound cake with some time of filling and Almond SBC and finally fondant on the outside. My question is mostly about the filling. My brother doesn't like fruit flavored ANYTHING, so any type of fruit filling is out of the question. I was considering a lavender filling. Would this flavor go with the almond cake or would it be overpowered? I also have struggled to find a good recipe for lavender filling that doesn't include lemon or some other type of fruit. Any good recipes?

Also, I'd like to try a few different kinds of fillings and see what I like best. What flavors go good with almond that aren't fruity?

Thanks so much again! any help you could give me would be so appreciated!

-Anna

5 replies
MelaMang75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelaMang75 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 6

You could go with a simple cream filling? It would compliment the almond flavor. There's a recipe on here that I've yet to try, but sounds really good, it resembles Twinkie filling. Good luck icon_smile.gif

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 6

How about a ganache filling? It's super easy to make and handle. I would stay away from lavender especially if it is your first cake as it's not a very easy flavor to work with in my opinion. A little too much lavender can make one feel like he/she is eating soap.

nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 6

A pastry cream or ganache, or a simple buttercream flavored.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 6

I would be hesitant to use a lavender filling....personally, I'm not a fan. I always feel like I'm eating perfume.

I would make some sort of chocolate filling, I think that would pair well with almond pound cake.

Another option is to make different flavors on each tier, so that your brother gets the non-fruit that he wants and the bride can have what she'd like.

klutzy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutzy_baker Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:49am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

I would be hesitant to use a lavender filling....personally, I'm not a fan. I always feel like I'm eating perfume.

I would make some sort of chocolate filling, I think that would pair well with almond pound cake.

Another option is to make different flavors on each tier, so that your brother gets the non-fruit that he wants and the bride can have what she'd like.

Those are all great ideas and I also think that lavender tastes a bit like perfume. That's just my opinion though.

I don't know if it would work, but perhaps a caramel flavored filling or dulce de leche might pair with almond? Best of luck on your first wedding cake!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%