Navy Retirement Cake With Rolled Fondant Flag

Decorating By LindasCake Updated 23 Jul 2011 , 5:11pm by tripleD

LindasCake Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 3

My son-in-law is retiring from the Navy in September and fell in love with the cake that is draped with a rolled fondant flag. Can anyone give me some hints on making the flag? Is in rolled out in strips and put together??? Is it painted? I have one day to make everything because I am going to Seattle from Phoenix. I know that I can make the Navy Seal ahead of time, but I don't want to have to "practice" with the rolled fondant flag when I get there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2 replies
AFBarbie Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 3

I just made a fondant flag for the top of an AF retirement cake. I rolled out the white fondant, cut the red stripes and the blue. I glued the red stripes and blue onto the white fondant. Then I carefully rolled it on my fondant rolling pin and placed it on the cake, I rippled the flag as I unrolled it so it wasn't laying totally flat. I used my 5-point star tip and made 50 stars on the blue with royal icing. I haven't had a chance to post the picture, but everyone at the retirement ceremony was in awe.

Good luck. It only took me about an hour so you should be good.

tripleD Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 3

I have a rebel flag poted in my pics. I used sugarveil. it drapes like fabricand is not as heavy as fondant. you can design it all together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%