I Don't Want To Hurt Her Feelings....but....

Baking By sarahsweetcakes Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 3:34pm by robbemorka

sarahsweetcakes Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 12

My friends frosting could use some work. Her cupcakes are delicious, but could be so much better if she improved on the frosting. She uses a recipe for buttercream with shortening and butter. She cuts out the butter and replaces it with more shortening. To me...it gives the buttercream a slimy, greasy texture and leaves a greasy feeling in your mouth. She doesnt sell her cupcakes, but wants to open a shop someday. The buttercream I make is very simple and uses just butter, milk, powdered sugar and vanilla. I don't know if her frosting is odd to me because I'm used to something totally different. Anyway, I want to tell her, but I don't want to hurt her feelings, what would you say?

11 replies
cakegrandma Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 12

Many people use just shortening in their buttercream. You may be so used to just butter that it does have a different mouth feel as well as taste. Perhaps she can cut the shortening down to 3/4 of a cup per pound of confectioners sugar or use hi-ratio shortening which, in my opinion, is very good. It is all I use and I use 3/4 cup for each pound of sugar. Be sure she also puts in a pinch of salt to cut the "sweetness" and perhaps you will like it better. I don't feel she is making it incorrectly, it's just that you are not used to it.
evelyn

bakerliz Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 12

Say nothing! My husband tells me often, "If people don't ask for your opinion, they don't want it." Now if she asks, that's a different story. I would still tread gently and say something like "You have really good technique, maybe a little more butter would add more flavor to it." Always compliment first! icon_smile.gif

SweetSuzieQ Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:01am
post #4 of 12

I think too it all comes down to personal preference. One person's slimy frosting is another person's dream come true! LOL I know me personally, I am still on the hunt for the "perfect" frosting as, I just don't like any of the american buttercreams that I have tried with butter, shortening, etc. and, prefer the subtle sweetness of a whipped cream cheese frosting. But, that frosting doesn't pipe as stiff as I'd like so, I'm always trying new stuff.

Occther Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:20am
post #5 of 12

Everyone has their own preference. I, myself, don't like the taste of SMBC or the ones with Dream Whip. Everyone in this town talks about a "Woody's" buttercream - from a popular local grocery store. I don't like it either.

kakeladi Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:25am
post #6 of 12

Why don't you suggest she check out this site's recipe section?? As the others have said, taste is *VERY* personal.
One thing you might suggest next time you have one of her cupies is that she should try adding more flavoring. Most recipes don't use enough to begin with. Doubling the amount could be all that is needed.

mandyloo Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:26am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweetcakes

My friends frosting could use some work. Her cupcakes are delicious, but could be so much better if she improved on the frosting. She uses a recipe for buttercream with shortening and butter. She cuts out the butter and replaces it with more shortening. To me...it gives the buttercream a slimy, greasy texture and leaves a greasy feeling in your mouth. She doesnt sell her cupcakes, but wants to open a shop someday. The buttercream I make is very simple and uses just butter, milk, powdered sugar and vanilla. I don't know if her frosting is odd to me because I'm used to something totally different. Anyway, I want to tell her, but I don't want to hurt her feelings, what would you say?

I absolutely wouldn't say anything. It's just a matter of personal preference.

JessiesCreations Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:38am
post #8 of 12

Ok...when I first started using the shortening buttercreme I had no idea that you needed to beat the slime out of it. Just happened that one day I answered the phone and left my mixer on for 10 minutes. When I checked on the frosting, it had become this delicious fluffy frosting that I now use all the time. I would just tell her that maybe she should beat it a little longer and add more flavoring. Only offer this advice when your Taste-testing for her.

GuiltyPleasures Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:38am
post #9 of 12

If you are ever talking about her idea to open a shop someday you could always say something like "I think that would be an awesome idea, I know how much you love making cupcakes and they sure are awesome. What might be an interesting thing to try is to play around with a couple different BC recipes and taste test them with people to see which is the most popular since there are so many different ways to make BC."

If you really didn't want to wait or don't think it would get brought up again you could take a passive aggressive approach and work something like this into the conversation "I was reading "x" recipe or site/ watching "x" show and I just realized there are many different ways to make BC. I always thought BC was just BC. Who knew? I wonder how many people would be able to tell the difference. Oh, you know what might be interesting, if you made a couple different BC recipes with the same cupcake and brought them to work/school/church etc... to have people taste test them and see if they really can tell a difference or which kind seems to be the most popular."

This way you are in no way saying anything negative about her recipe but you are making her aware there are other recipes out there. If she is interested in trying them and she did not know this than great. If she did know this but does not care than you have not said anything negative and you can move on knowing that it is a conscious choice she is making. icon_biggrin.gif

sarahsweetcakes Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:59pm
post #10 of 12

I thought it might just be my taste, and me not being used to her type of buttercream. Thanks for all the suggestions. Like I said, I don't want to hurt her feelings, so I'll come up with something. icon_smile.gif

olleharr Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:21pm
post #11 of 12

I have that same taste pallet when it comes to the shortening recipes. I've been trying different ones for the summer as they are suppose to hold up better to the heat than my buttercream. I don't care for the taste at all and I always have that greasy feeling in my mouth. My family LOVES it though. Some people like it and some don't I guess.

robbemorka Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 12

What about giving her one of your cupcakes with your buttercreme for a tasting? If she likes it, you can give her the recipe... icon_smile.gif

Around this area there is no need for shortening in buttercreme, because it is not getting that hot in the summer. So we use butter a lot. I personally wouldn't know how get that buttery, creamy sweet taste of real butter in a cream made out of shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%