Getting Complicated?

Baking By amaryllis756 Updated 23 Jul 2011 , 12:31pm by Evoir

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 10:42am
post #1 of 8

I am baking, making and filling 400 cupcakes for a wedding in August. Everything went great at the tasting. But I am really leary. Not of the bride, but the wedding coordinator. I haven't met her, but have taken the order from the brides representative. (I heard the coordinator is a real bear.) This is a very high profile wedding, in our area, and the business could really help. This is really becoming more and more complicated. The venue is going to set up the cupccakes, I am not. As a matter-of-fact, the restaurant (1st venue) is transporting them to the reception. (Security is high, so I suppose they don't want anyone to know the location). I am afraid that the restaurant is going to mess up all my hard work on the cupcakes and then I will be at fault. (Is there something I can do to protect my self?) I don't even know what the display is going to look like. Maybe I am a control freak, but this is not what I thought was going to happen when I was asked if I would take the job. I thought I was going to follow through from start to finish. There is just so much I feel is going wrong, that it is too much to write here. The wedding coordinator also set MY prices. I can't get out of this..but man! if I had known.

7 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 11:13am
post #2 of 8

Just draw up a contract which states that once the cupcakes have left your premises you have no responsibility for their safe arrival or completion of the stand/display. Get the client to sign the contract and initial the clause to say they have read and understood it.

You could even have something for the person picking them up to sign, eg) I am of the understanding that once this order leaves *bakery's name* premises, I am the responsible party and any damage caused after said order has left the premises *bakery's name* cannot be held responsible. By signing this document I am agreeing that the order is up to an acceptable standard and I understand the terms of purchase outlined by *Bakery's name* (explain to drive slow, don't brake hard, keep car a/c on etc etc)

Something along those lines, I'm sure someone else will have a clause in their contract they can share.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 11:18am
post #3 of 8

You can express your concern to the bride's representative. But I'd just step back, let control of it go and do what they want. In my experience, these big, secretive, high profile events often have nothing but type A people trying to keep the little guy (you) out of it any more than they absolutely need to be. These people's job is to squelch your input and steamroll through, doing things the way they want them done. They are so used to constantly telling starstruck vendors, "no, you don't need to meet Mr Famous to arrange things. I can act on his behalf." that even valid concerns like yours can get road blocked. And, just the fact that the bride has a 'representative' tells me this is probably the case here.

Besides, if you're already contracted, without any such stipulation, it'll be near to impossible to avoid just being steamrolled over. So don't stress yourself trying.

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 11:24am
post #4 of 8

Yes I was about to say the same thing. have a clause in your contract stating that once cupakes have left your premisise that you are not resposible for them or the way they are transported. I would however explain to whoever is picking them up, how to transport them safely. That's all you can do under the circumstance.

As far as setting up your cupcakes, I can completely understand you wanting to do that, because to me that's half the fun, setting them up and seeing how they look at the reception. But because it's a high profile wedding it's not possible. If you're concerned about someone else setting them up and messing up your work, I would take photos of your work before it leaves your place. Their is nothing you can do if staff don't set up correctly.

I don't quite understand how the coordinator set YOUR prices?

JillyPlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillyPlot Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 11:36am
post #5 of 8

I was also going to suggest taking photos of ALL of the cupcakes before they leave your possession, as well as making sure there is a clause that states you are not responsible for them being damaged once they leave your care.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 8

Interesting topic as I dealt with a similar situation just today (though not a celebrity wedding with minders!).

I am a control freak and deliver my wedding cakes, plus any other large tiered cakes. I charge for this. and 99% of folks are happy to pay to leave off the additional stress on their wedding day.

Anyhow, this couple were sticking to a budget, had a very intimate wedding, and asked if a famiy friend who lives near to me could collect it and bring it to the wedding as they were guests (to save a $100 delivery fee). I notified the bride during the consultation process of the potential dangers, informed her of the best way to transport cakes in the car, and when the guests came to collect the cake, I had the cake sitting out on a table. I went over the cake (inspected it) with the guest, then I placed it into its transport box and closed it. The guest signed a 'pick up note' for me on behalf of the bride which essentially indemnifies me against any damages arising from the guest screwing up the delivery/set-up. Then I placed the cake box into the vehicle as we discussed, and saw them off.

I say if the organiser wants to collect the cupcakes, let them, but certainly have them ready to go in stable cupcake boxes AND get them to sign YOUR indemnity document. This protects YOU. I have a specific delivery/pick-up book that I use for this, and I give one copy to the recipient and keep the other. I would add a clause in there that they will store/disply the cupcakes as instructed (ie not outdoors in the hot sun, on a stable stand etc etc).

CYA is the best advice. Oh, and set up/photograph all your cupcakes before delivery so you get to see the overall effect icon_smile.gif They are still YOUR work and you should have them proudly deisplyed in your portfolio. Good luck!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 8

Evoir, did the cake make it? icon_smile.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 12:31pm
post #8 of 8

Hehe...don't know yet! But I have lots of photos to prove it left here in mint condition icon_smile.gif Lucky it was only 2 tiers. I am pretty sure I'd be adamant about saying NO to three or more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%