post #1 of 31

is called to order.

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' on?

30 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:36am
post #2 of 31

Three weddings this weekend + a big wedding show. One cake (little three tier) delivered today. Six tier + a kitchen cake for tomorrow, nearly finished. May or may not prep Sunday's cake tonight. May get some sleep. Baking samples for the wedding show tomorrow. Fortunately the Sunday delivery is due well before the wedding show starts. Got lucky there!

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:54am
post #3 of 31

Good evening! It's my first time here at the Friday Night Cake Club. I'm working on my first three tier topsy turvy wedding cake. It's a big cake for me - 14", 12" and 8" layers. So far so good, but I'm worried to death about the support system. . .I put 10 wilton plastic dowels in the 14" layer, put a plastic cake plate on top, then placed the 12" tier, which has 8 plastic dowels in it and the plastic cake plate for the 8" tier in place. . I have a center dowel that will go through those two tiers into the base ( hubby drilled a hole in the plastic cake plate) and plan to transport to the venue like that. I will place the 8" cake on the plastic cake plate once I get there, then pipe a border and should be ready to roll. Ugh! Figuring out the support for a HEAVY cake has given me a headache but hopefully that will work. What do you guys think?

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:02am
post #4 of 31

I just finished my bale of hay for a wedding tomorrow. I've been piping since 9:30 this morning. My hand is killing me icon_smile.gif. It looks pretty cool, though. Here's a picture from about 3 hours ago. I've since filled in more of the gaps and added the twine. http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=190403171021095&set=a.106564279404985.10273.100001542403642&type=1&theater ...ignore the goofy comment, it was meant for my daughter icon_smile.gif.

All I have to do tomorrow is cover the top of the cowboy hat with fondant; the brim is almost dry and the top has been carved and crumbcoated. I'll also make a chocolate fondant braid for the trim on the hat and scatter a few gumpaste flowers on it (a deconstructed version of the bride's bouquet). Then {GULP} deliver it. Actually, I'll deliver THEN attach the hat and flowers.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:06am
post #5 of 31

Hi there everyone!

Busy week for me, two wedding cakes, 4 doz cupcakes and a birthday cake. The first wedding cake was a big one for me (10-8-6) but the second one was a small one (6-4) but a joy to work on. Cupcakes were nothing special for a brown and pink b'day party but the birthday cake is for a long time friend of mine who just happens to be in town tonight so we get to celebrate when she arrives. So that was last minute. One of the wedding cakes was Sunday morning, the cupcakes Sunday night, the small wedding cake was for last night (Justice of the Peace wedding, family only) and so today I just had the b'day cake and I'm FREE for the weekend! Can hardly believe my luck<G>.

Hope everyone is having a great summer!

Cat

leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:16am
post #6 of 31

@cat, perspective is a funny thing isn't it. My 6/8/10 wedding cake today looked tiny to me - like a doll sized cake. I'm used to working bigger. ::shrugs::

@Elcee that is one heckofa bale of hay. Great job!!

@Dani, let us know how it goes. TT's are always "fun."

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:22am
post #7 of 31

No cakes this week (and thank goodness given how hot it's been). My next round of wedding cakes start in August.

I did bake some hi hat cupcakes ...both regular and minis....and couldn't believe how easy they were to make and how great they tasted...the minis just may replace the ubiquitous cake balls!

I did get an order for a birthday cake for an 11 year old girl. When did zebra cakes become the rage? Now I'm looking toward making a neon green zebra cake with neon pink bows on top. The child in question asked for a bubblegum flavoured cake and while I can envision how it might be done, I finally persuaded her and her mother that a strawberry cake would be even better.

Hope all you bakers on the right side of the USofA are taking it easy and not suffering too much from the heat (Chicago and 90 degrees at 3 am!) Over here in the South, we always take it slow and easy and just learn to wait this heat spell out.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:28am
post #8 of 31

I have nothing this weekend either. And it is beyond hot. The next van that we buy will have rear AC!
We will be working on the building tomorrow. I have two cases of water and 3 cases of Gatorade! They will be moving in my cooler and oven into my part of the building. Then the fourth inside wall will go up. Those two pieces of equipment are too big to go through my 36 inch door! So the kitchen will have to be built around them.

pxinos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pxinos Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:33am
post #9 of 31

My first post in the cake club instead of just reading in awe how you do some much in such a short amount of time, Leah!

I did a going away cake for two girls at work today - a suit case with zebra stripes and pink details. Tonight I'm working on last minute birthday cake request for a boy turning 14. It's a 10" chocolate cake with chocolate BC and filled with Oreos. He wants to be a sports agent and live in a big city. So, I'll be rolling fondant here in a bit to cut out different sized sky scrapers for a city scape. On top, I'm just going to put some sports related picks I found. I would have loved to try my hand at making figures, but just didn't have the time.

Excited to be hanging with you guys tonight!

Pattie

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:33am
post #10 of 31

good evening!
im working on 3 birthday cakes for sunday. im baking and crumb coating tonight. so they have time to settle during the day tomorrow so i can decorate.
still playing around with new 'cake toys' i got so i keep changing the actual designs.
its been hot here too in connecticut-so thats playing into what im making.
not sure about using alot of fondant for decorations not too experienced with it to know how it holds up to the heat/humidity.
scared to see my light bill next month with the constant air going..ugh!

ill be here for awhile tonight-still have 3 more cakes to bake.

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:33am
post #11 of 31

Hmm, I've never been to a cake club! Hi! I was taking this week "off" as I have been caking like a crazy person, last week I ran myself ragged, took on way too much. It was ugly. But then, of course, one of my favorite people call and I couldn't say no so.... tomorrow I will be doing a present cake (thanks goodness, I can do those things in my sleep) and 6 dozen cupcakes with navy ships and anchors on them. I plan on spending tomorrow night with a neverending frost bev. It's way too hot here to cake, even with the AC cranked. At least the weekend I exercised my "no" a few times... Although now I'm thinking if I was going to take one order, I should've been booking this weekend all along... oh hindsight....

leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:41am
post #12 of 31

Yeah, I don't think I'd make it with out air conditioning. I can't really remember not having central air . . . And my car AC will freeze you out! We have the bill on "even pay" so the bill is the same every month. Makes budgeting easy.

Any of you lovelies have the Genesis Diamond Dash in your city? We have one here on August 5th. I signed on as a sponsor. I also have three weddings that weekend. Me = should have looked at my calendar.

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:41am
post #13 of 31

I just made fondant on a cake i'm starting tomorrow icon_biggrin.gif

And I just have to know how did u do the hay it looks great

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:58am
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

@Elcee that is one heckofa bale of hay. Great job!!

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelleyes

And I just have to know how did u do the hay it looks great

angelleyes, it's a 12 x 12 x 16 rectangle; 4" of styrofoam with 8" of cake stacked on top. I used 4 shades of gold bc and applied it with a combination of a grass tip, tips 3 and 4 and 13 and 14 (I used the small stars to fill in some of the bare spots on the ends). I just kept layering the different shades until I was happy with it. Thanks for asking! icon_biggrin.gif

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:00am
post #15 of 31

Working on a few cakes.... it's been one of those weeks where I just couldn't seem to get anything started lol. So it's a 4 tier wedding cake, square and round alt, with the middle tier and elongated round 10" --actually 3 tiers in one; grooms cake: Irish car bomb theme teehee, and two last minute birthday cakes that I really should have known better than to agree to. Luckily, though, the other two wedding cakes I finished this morning, and the two cakes for Sunday...well, they're baked up at least! lol

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:24am
post #16 of 31

@leah_s - do you ever take a vacation? haha.
every time im here for friday nite club whether im making a cake or not, you have so many cakes.
i dont know how you do it and make it sounds so smooth.
kudos to you!

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:26am
post #17 of 31

I've got a two tier wedding cake with swiss dots and a two tier 50th birthday cake in a golf theme. I have actually never done swiss dots before...anyone have any tips?

divadidelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divadidelights Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:33am
post #18 of 31

working on gumpaste hockey figures for the top of next weeks wedding cake order with 16 dozen cupcakes

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:47am
post #19 of 31

Just got done doing some pulled sugar work for a cake being picked up in the morning, and baking right now for an army themed baby shower cake to be picked up tomorrow night!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:59am
post #20 of 31

Working on a 'baby reveal' cake. Everything was going so smoothly. I'm putting a small square cake that looks like a present on top of a large sheet cake and the present cake will be the cake that reveals the sex of the baby. (the mom wanted choc cake with choc ganache filling so that's what the sheet cake is). Everything is going fine until I start to place the square cake on and it just starts sinking...even with dowels. I've never had this much trouble before. If I didn't have the baby cake, then I wouldn't have a problem...but the baby cake is what is important!

I had it torted into 3 layers so I took a layer off...nice and messy...to hopefully lighten it up. Everything is in the fridge getting cold and hopefully hard. It's so hot here I have to work really fast. I'm going to blast the air conditioning in my car when I deliver this thing and I personally am going to make sure it gets in the fridge when I get there. I dont' think it will crash if it sits out for an hour before they cut it. I hope!
Gotta get back to it. I still have details to do!

SammieB Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 5:01am
post #21 of 31

I just melted down all the sugar I had left so I could store it for use another time, and got a little too grabby too fast. I think I lost a thumbprint! Geez, that stuff is hot. I knew I should have put on gloves. Time to grab a cold beer...

catlharper Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 5:11am
post #22 of 31

Ok, first off...what the heck is a "hi hat" cake??? Dying to know<G>

[email protected], the biggest I've ever done is a 12 inch and that's rare for me. My "normal" cake is an 8 and 6, sometimes a 8,6,4. Medium size weddings for me.

Third...Swiss dots. I do a line of 3 dots down the side of the cake, then about a half inch over I do dots in between the other dots so it looks like this

then

then repeat all the way around the cake When you get done the dots look like they are going in diagonal lines all around the cake. (remove stars)

Now I'm going to ask for help. There is a new (or return of an old) icing technique here that I can't figure out how you do it. It sort of looks like you took a line of vertical dots and used your thumb to sort of smear them to the right and then layered over another line of dots and smeared then repeated? I have no idea how to explain it better...anyone know what I'm talking about and how to do it?

Thanx!!!

Cat

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 5:19am
post #23 of 31

I finished my cake. It's taken me 3 days to finish one little 8 in cake. I don't know how you guys manage multiple weddings in one weekend. I frosted and filled with peanut butter frosting that has heavy cream in it. Agonizing over whether or not I "should" put my fondant-covered cake in the fridge. I wish I knew all the science about the whole fat/sugar to dairy product (liquid?) thing. Google's not much help.

SammieB Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 5:19am
post #24 of 31
catlharper Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 5:27am
post #25 of 31

Yes, and how funny that I basically had it right how to do it! LOL! Instead of your thumb use the tip...LOL! THANX!

Cat

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:25pm
post #26 of 31

Cat...Hi Hat Cupcakes are simply chocolate cupcakes with a marshmallow meringue swirl on top that is then dipped in a chocolate ganache coating. There are tons of pictures online as well as recipes. They taste wonderful and I especially liked the minis. they are easy to make which is good seeings as how they don't have the shelf life of a cake ball. I posted a very poor quality pic in my photos but it really doesn't do them justice.

catlharper Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:23pm
post #27 of 31

that sounds like a fun cupcake! Thanx for letting me know!

Cat

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:51pm
post #28 of 31

Southern cross--I just read your signature, and I have to say that's hilarious. I think that pretty much sums up the forums. icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 7:52pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Yes, and how funny that I basically had it right how to do it! LOL! Instead of your thumb use the tip...LOL! THANX!

Cat

Cat, I just saw this today. Usually I Am Baker's tutorials are great, but I have a better link for that technique. You use a spatula.

Here's the links:

http://www.mycakeschool.com/bl.....al-effect/

http://nightbaking.blogspot.com/2011_04_01_archive.html

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2101559

catlharper Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 8:04pm
post #30 of 31

Thanx for the links...I really really like the look of the spatula smeared dots rather than the tip smeared. However I think that only works when the dots are the same, or about the same, size as the spatula used. If you wanted mini dots then using the tip would be the best way to go. I'm seriously going to use this next year for Easter!LOL!

thanx!
Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%