Which Serving Chart Is Most Accurate?

Decorating By KimLynnC Updated 23 Jul 2011 , 2:29am by FromScratchSF

KimLynnC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimLynnC Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 12:57am
post #1 of 5

It seems like quite a few people use the Wilton charts. I found 2 different Wilton charts, there was a wedding cake one and a party cake one. I have also heard of Ealene's serving chart. Which chart do you use or which is the most accurate?

4 replies
QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:46am
post #2 of 5

I personally like Wilton's. I cut the servings 2x1x4 and it's pretty spot on. I always go with the lower serving option, cause of the servings that get lost , cause of the supports.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:58am
post #3 of 5

Wilton's 'wedding' chart is really considered the 'industry standard'.
Use it for ALL your cakes that are 3 to 4" tall per tier - single, or more.
If your cake is only a 2" layer - as most sheet cakes are - then use a serving size of 2x2x2.
As much as I really like Earlene - her chart gives bigger servings *and* discards any that are not exactly the same size. This actually makes you loose $$$ - or you need to increase your price per serving (as she did). If people want larger servings than a 1x2x4 let them get a larger cake so they can serve bigger pieces or give 2nds.

KimLynnC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimLynnC Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:10am
post #4 of 5

Alright then. That is some good advice thanks icon_smile.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:29am
post #5 of 5

I was usig Earline's until Indydebi made a great point about this... it really doesn't matter what chart you want to use, the caterer is going to cut it based on Wilton's chart. So even with good intentions to go with Earline'e to give larger servings, your cake is not gong to get cut up that way unless you cut it for them.

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%