My First 3 Tier Cake....advise Please

Decorating By jessicakes63 Updated 23 Jul 2011 , 9:15pm by jessicakes63

jessicakes63 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 6

I have an order for a 3 tier first one! It will be a 1 layer 10" round, 2 layer 8" round and 6" square. I have always used wooden dowel rods between tiers then anchored the whole cake in the middle and into the cake board with a dowel, and never have a problem. However, I a little scared to do that with a 3 tier. So.....Cake is due only local supplier is Hobby Lobby which sells Wilton seperator sets, so I guess I will try that, the question is, how to anchor to board?? Or is using Royal Icing between bottom tier and board enough? Thanks for help!

5 replies
pastrygirls Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 6

you can use dowels and the central dowel, or you can use the wilton seperator plates. i use glucose (or you can use corn syrup). if you're cake is staying really cold you can use buttercream as well. i've found with royal icing that when it's squeeshed between boards, it doesn't dry as well because it doesn't get any air to dry it out. you can also use melted chocolate, then when you chill it, it sets up and acts like the cement you need to hold ur cake steady

AnotherCaker Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 6

The edges of the square are going to hang over the 8" round slightly, be prepared for that look, might not like it.

leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 6

Another is t. A good, close estimate for the length of a diagonal is the side times 1.3.
You've got time to order SPS.

AnotherCaker Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 6

It will right? I'm not near my pans, but I do have my size charts with me, and I know there's a reason I don't have the OP's configuration as an option on my list. I have a 6" square starting out on a 10" round only.

jessicakes63 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 6

I may get online and try to order the SPS.....I was mistaken...the top is 6" round....Thanks for all the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%