Red Buttercream Icing

Decorating By insanemom08 Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 4:57pm by chrissypie

insanemom08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
insanemom08 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 10

I was wondering if anyone knew how to get a true red buttercream icing and how? I did mine with the no taste red and used almost the whole bottle of it and it is still not a true red more like a deep reddish pink tint. Do I need to add another color with it? Thanks for your help. I am making a solid white wedding cake and she wanted roses for the topper with their last name initial stuck in the middle...please help.

9 replies
Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 10

You need a condensed, gel color. I recommend Lucks Liqua-Gel colors in Super Red. They have no taste, they dont bleed or fade, and per oz. they're much cheaper than Americolor. You have to have a business tax ID of some sort to order from them though. Unless it's a local cake supply store, you won't find it in a big box store.

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 10

A kind person on here told me to dye it pink first if u cant find the no taste red.. I heard bout it to but cant find it

insanemom08 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeuhlicious

You need a condensed, gel color. I recommend Lucks Liqua-Gel colors in Super Red. They have no taste, they dont bleed or fade, and per oz. they're much cheaper than Americolor. You have to have a business tax ID of some sort to order from them though. Unless it's a local cake supply store, you won't find it in a big box store.

The only thing I have available where I live is Wilton No taste red...and I do not have a tax id to order from wholesalers...thanks anyway...

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanemom08

Quote:

The only thing I have available where I live is Wilton No taste red...and I do not have a tax id to order from wholesalers...thanks anyway...

Everyone here will tell you that Wilton red doesn't work. I dont know that anyone will have a "fix" for what you've already got. You would likely need to order something. Lucks has distributors that sell to consumers too. Some people have mentioned using koolaid to color icing/cake mixes. It would flavor your icing, but in conjunction with the iffy wilton red you might come out with a truer color.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:

...she wanted roses for the topper with their last name initial stuck in the middle...please help.

The red roses in my video were made with liquid food coloryou need to add more powdered sugar to stiffen the icing back up (especially for roses). With most food coloring, the trick to getting a deep red is to use a lot... if it darkens more as it sitsgreat.

insanemom08 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Quote:

...she wanted roses for the topper with their last name initial stuck in the middle...please help.

The red roses in my video were made with liquid food coloryou need to add more powdered sugar to stiffen the icing back up (especially for roses). With most food coloring, the trick to getting a deep red is to use a lot... if it darkens more as it sitsgreat.

Thank you I will try that, I do have some liquid red that I use in my red velvet cakes.....

insanemom08 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Everyone here will tell you that Wilton red doesn't work. I dont know that anyone will have a "fix" for what you've already got. You would likely need to order something. Lucks has distributors that sell to consumers too. Some people have mentioned using koolaid to color icing/cake mixes. It would flavor your icing, but in conjunction with the iffy wilton red you might come out with a truer color.

Thanks, if all else fails (liquid red coloring) I will try the kool-aid...as far as ordering this cake is for tomorrow....thanks for all your help...

ranae5463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranae5463 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 10

I use the Wilton no-taste red - you just have to make it at least a day ahead so that the color intensifies. Since I started doing that I've had no problems with it. Got that tip right here on CC. icon_biggrin.gif

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 10

Yes, I just made red/red last week and it worked like a charm. Firstly, if you can, make a day in advance. If you can't, try to at least let it sit and hour or so once the color is in. First, I put wilton Rose in the buttercream, a good amount until it was deep. I let it sit for 45 min covered. Then I added wilton no taste red. again, a good amount. At first it doesn't appear to be more than a light red or a deep reddish pink, but after it sits, expecially overnight, it changes to a nice bright red. I hope this helps, it works for me. If you want to see what kind of red it winds up being, look in my pictures at my rainbow cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%