Do I Need To Refrigerate This Cake?

Decorating By theCword Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 3:36pm by MerlotCook

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 2

Hello and good morning! I have several questions actually. icon_smile.gif Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer/read.

Last night I finished my wasc cake. I tried a new bc recipe that is pretty yummy. I used an organic strawberry spread (store bought) mixed with buttercream for filling.

My bc recipe was:

3 oz heavy cream
1 cup shortening
4 cups ps
vanilla
salt

Cake recipe was the wasc from CC.

Questions:

1) Do I need to refrigerate cake because of filling and/or heavy cream? I left it out last night but my house is at 70 degrees!

2) Is this bc a crusting recipe? I tried using the roller method for first time and it did NOT work. I did smooth it out as much as I could with spatula and then decorated. It has crusted some but when I touch the cake I have a bit of grease on my fingers... is this normal?

3) Is the WASC cake normally very moist? I think I didn't let it cool right the other night when I made it I guess but this is what I did. I let it cool in pan. Then took out, let it cool out on rack for about an hour or almost an hour. I then wrapped it in saran tightly and stuck in freezer. I took it out yesterday evening to thaw and it sweated most of the time (thawing?) but even when I went to decorate after a while from sitting out, it was still wet feeling so I stuck it in fridge and was able to carefully take it off the upside down cake pan. Surprisingly, crumb coating it was easy.. I thought it'd be coming apart since it was so moist feeling.

Thanks!

1 reply
MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 2

1) No, it will be okay left at room temp. The sugar rules over the cream icon_smile.gif and the spread is fine unrefrigerated.
2) I don't know icon_sad.gif
3) WASC tends to be very moist when I make it. Glad it crumb coated well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%