Hello and good morning! I have several questions actually. Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer/read.
Last night I finished my wasc cake. I tried a new bc recipe that is pretty yummy. I used an organic strawberry spread (store bought) mixed with buttercream for filling.
My bc recipe was:
3 oz heavy cream
1 cup shortening
4 cups ps
Cake recipe was the wasc from CC.
1) Do I need to refrigerate cake because of filling and/or heavy cream? I left it out last night but my house is at 70 degrees!
2) Is this bc a crusting recipe? I tried using the roller method for first time and it did NOT work. I did smooth it out as much as I could with spatula and then decorated. It has crusted some but when I touch the cake I have a bit of grease on my fingers... is this normal?
3) Is the WASC cake normally very moist? I think I didn't let it cool right the other night when I made it I guess but this is what I did. I let it cool in pan. Then took out, let it cool out on rack for about an hour or almost an hour. I then wrapped it in saran tightly and stuck in freezer. I took it out yesterday evening to thaw and it sweated most of the time (thawing?) but even when I went to decorate after a while from sitting out, it was still wet feeling so I stuck it in fridge and was able to carefully take it off the upside down cake pan. Surprisingly, crumb coating it was easy.. I thought it'd be coming apart since it was so moist feeling.
1) No, it will be okay left at room temp. The sugar rules over the cream and the spread is fine unrefrigerated.
2) I don't know
3) WASC tends to be very moist when I make it. Glad it crumb coated well!