Best Customer Ever!

Decorating By m_willford Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 5:06pm by QTCakes1

m_willford Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 5:59am
post #1 of 11

Tee hee! I just had a friend come in and order a cake, apologizing for short notice. Since I'd been burned before by people freaking out about the price after designing the cake, I had resolved to talk price before design from now on. She was great, didn't complain or anything! (That's rare in my town, that thinks home bakers should be cheaper than Walmart. And I'm way beyond Walmart crap!) In fact, when she mentioned that a 3D mustang car would be awesome, I told her what that starts per serving. "Do you see me flinching?" is what she answered. Wow!

We settled on a sheet with just the mustang emblem on it due to time constraints, and I said I needed 50% up front to pay for supplies. She went to the bank and paid me 90%! (She didn't have change...) The other $$ I'll get when she picks it up.

It was so nice to have a customer pick a design quickly, pick a flavor that wasn't too boring vanilla, and actually pay for the thing so fast! I showed her a picture of the white chocolate mustang that I crafted and painted silver, and she went nuts over it.

I hope she looks me up when her daughter gets married in 10+ years! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 11

Isn't it nice when people actually value your work enough to pay what it's worth? icon_smile.gif

creativethoughts Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 11

Wow your lucky, what a friend! I wish that my friend was like that. I was over at the house where one of my friends is staying, he comes in after work and just about the first thing out of his mouth was:

'I need you to make a cake for my brothers wedding that i'm planning next month, but im not going to pay full price because I know how expensive they can get and I dont have a lot of money.'

I was so upset with him! Yeah, hes a friend and I wouldn't have charged him full price because i know that he doesn't have a lot of money right now. I would have been happy to do it and just have had him pay for the ingredients because i'm just starting out and it would be my first wedding. I was just so taken aback by how he said it and I know that he's a guy but the lack of tact would have made anyone else just turn him away on the spot!

Any ways Lucky you for having a friend like that and I hope that in the future you will get more clients like that who appreciate your work!

Cakeuhlicious Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativethoughts

Wow your lucky, what a friend! I wish that my friend was like that. I was over at the house where one of my friends is staying, he comes in after work and just about the first thing out of his mouth was:

'I need you to make a cake for my brothers wedding that i'm planning next month, but im not going to pay full price because I know how expensive they can get and I dont have a lot of money.'

I probably would have started laughing if a friend of mine said this to me. It is so rude that I wouldnt have any choice but to believe it is a joke.

artscallion Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeuhlicious

Quote:

'I need you to make a cake for my brothers wedding that i'm planning next month, but I'm not going to pay full price because I know how expensive they can get and I don't have a lot of money.'

I probably would have started laughing if a friend of mine said this to me. It is so rude that I wouldn't have any choice but to believe it is a joke.

I'd have worked out plans for a cake I'd normally charge $500 for. Then I'd tell him it was a $1,000 cake, but I'm giving you a 25% discount and only charging you $750. You see what I did there? I call that "paying the moron toll."

creativethoughts Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeuhlicious

Quote:

'I need you to make a cake for my brothers wedding that i'm planning next month, but I'm not going to pay full price because I know how expensive they can get and I don't have a lot of money.'

I probably would have started laughing if a friend of mine said this to me. It is so rude that I wouldn't have any choice but to believe it is a joke.

I'd have worked out plans for a cake I'd normally charge $500 for. Then I'd tell him it was a $1,000 cake, but I'm giving you a 25% discount and only charging you $750. You see what I did there? I call that "paying the moron toll."

You know what, if it was anyone else other than this one friend I would do just that! But there is a lot of back relationship things that make it so that I cant do that. On the bright side I did tell myself that I would only ever do one cake like this as a favor to a friend and i'm getting it out of the way now! I am however going to save what artscallion said for the next time he asks me for a cake!

Natilie79 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:09am
post #7 of 11

I know how you feel. I am having problems like that here too. I have people waisting my time. Having me draw up and email them different wedding cakes and they when they see the price they never call back.

I Do love costmers that can make up their mind. My best one is a Woman that called me up on the phone, gave me an idea and flavors. I drew up 1 picture for her and she loved it. I oly had to change one thing for her. I gave her the price and expected her to run (My cakes prices are $2.00-2.50 a serving). She didnt. I had a check in my hand the very next morrning for the total amount. She loved the cake and I just did another one a few days ago for her. This time she left everything up to me and I had a check the very next morrning for the whole amount.

I just wish everyone could be that easy to get along with.

SarahL4683 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:27am
post #8 of 11
Quote:

I was so upset with him! Yeah, hes a friend and I wouldn't have charged him full price because i know that he doesn't have a lot of money right now. I would have been happy to do it and just have had him pay for the ingredients because i'm just starting out and it would be my first wedding. I was just so taken aback by how he said it and I know that he's a guy but the lack of tact would have made anyone else just turn him away on the spot!

Any ways Lucky you for having a friend like that and I hope that in the future you will get more clients like that who appreciate your work!

My automatic response would've been "if you don't want to pay full price, I guess you don't want to get a full cake" Discounts are not automatic for friends! My friends know how hard I work on all my cakes (and thankfully they are my best tippers! haha). If you choose to be generous enough to do the cake at a discount and you're invited to the wedding, I'd count that as my gift since it will actually cost you to give a discount. That's time you could be using to fulfill a full priced order. Also, I would let them pick flavors and a basic design style and tell them the rest is up to you. Otherwise you may get stuck doing something you don't like or something really over the top, which would annoy me if I was doing it as a discount.

I rarely get complaints about my prices now. Enough people have tasted my cakes and seen my work (most of my orders are referrals) that they have no problem paying full price. You know you found the right kind of customers with stories like yours. It's such a great feeling. I hope they keep coming!

m_willford Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:

Wow. Just wow. If you don't have a lot of money, that's fine. But try telling the florist that! I did have a friend who asked if she could have one for cost since she's really hard for cash all the time. I agreed and still haven't been reimbursed for the non-grocery stuff! I just said no more cakes for her unless she pays in full, and if she can't afford it then she needs to bake one herself.

There is a serious lack in tact with some people though, yeesh! LOL.

I like the idea to quote more than you usually would and give a "discount". icon_lol.gif

JenniferMI Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 11

YAY!!!! Good customers are good as gold.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

QTCakes1 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:06pm
post #11 of 11

[quote="m_willford"]

Quote:

I did have a friend who asked if she could have one for cost since she's really hard for cash all the time. I agreed and still haven't been reimbursed for the non-grocery stuff!

You know what you should do the next time this comes up is give them a list of all the ingredients, ALL OF THEM. And have them go buy it. I don't feel I should have to spend my time running to any stores for anything as well, cause that is also an expense. If there is some decorative stuff I need to order for the cake, I tell the total cost, tell them when to give it to me to order. If they don't have that money to me by a certain time, I let them know if I don't get it by a certain time, I won't be able to do it, cause the order won't come in on time. That usually works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%