Bc Vs Dh

Decorating By jewordsoflife Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 12:17pm by seedrv

jewordsoflife Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:56am
post #1 of 8

I've always used BC mixes for my recipes (like with WASC) only because it's the cake mix my mom used when I was going up so I figured it was the box mix to use icon_smile.gif As I've been looking at recipes, I have noticed that DH seems to be the more popular choice. Is there a reason for that? Is it a better cake mix to use with the recipes? I'm interested to know which brand you use and why? TIA

7 replies
Chonte Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:15am
post #2 of 8

it's personal preference. like any other food. everyone's tastes are different. i use betty crocker, duncan hines and pillsbury mixes i just buy whats on sale i have even found a few off brands that are good. like Bakers Corner (Aldi brand) i usually bake from scratch but when i use a mix it's always doctored anyway. i generally keep a stash of mixes for emergencys and quick fixes icon_smile.gif

carmijok Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:53am
post #3 of 8

I use BC because the bakery I used to work for used them. I tried using a DH strawberry cake and that sucker was way too moist and soft for the cake I was doing. I did another DH strawberry using the WASC method and that improved it a lot.

chefandbaker Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:31am
post #4 of 8

I find that BC is consistently cheaper than the others. I try to use DH for it's devils food or red velvet. For any type of lemon cake, I ALWAYS bake that from scratch.

sacakesandbakes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:52am
post #5 of 8

I think its a preference thing to. I only use Pillsbury, even though it says pudding in the mix I've still have added pudding and sour cream to the mix when needed.

Mikel79 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 11:36am
post #6 of 8

I'm a DH kind of guy! I tried using others, but DH is the best.

Here is a cake I did with DH

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2104267

HTH

Michael

cakestyles Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 11:42am
post #7 of 8

LOLOLOL

I had to pop in here to tell you all....when I saw the title to this thread I read the abbreviations as "butter cream" vs "dear husband".... icon_biggrin.gif

Now THAT would be an interesting topic!!

LOL OK Carry on! hehehe

seedrv Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 8

LOL cakestyles!

The trouble with BC is if you sift the mix you will ALWAYS find rock hard stuff in it that doesn't dissolve in water. I've found them in every flavor. People have called BC and gotten explanations. I still use BC but always sift.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%