Help Me With My Mmf Please!

Decorating By hchampagne Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 2:24am by hchampagne

hchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hchampagne Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 17

I made a batch last night and it turned out great, but when I went to color it, it was almost impossible. So today I am remaking my batches and adding the color to the melted marshmallows. When I mix with ps it is still verrry soft and somewhat sticky if I mess around with it for a while. I added cornstarch to help with the stickiness, but i'm so scared i'm going to cover my cake and the mmf will slide off because it is soft. Is this an issue that is resolved by sitting for 24 hours before using? If not, how can I fix it now? Thank you!!!

16 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 17

Let it sit overnight and it will firm up. Don't add cornstarch until it's sat overnight or it may end up too firm to use.

For the batch you made yesterday, warm it in the microwave, ten seconds at a time, until it's soft and easy to knead, then just knead the color in.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 17

How much powdered sugar did you add? If it's real sticky, add a bit more ps and knead well. Than wrap tightly in shortening coated plastic wrap until tomorrow morning.

I also add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of shortening to the mmf when I'm mixing it.

hchampagne Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 17

Thanks Texas_Rose! I already added cornstarch though icon_sad.gif It was so soft though that hopefully it won't be too firm tomorrow. I'm glad to know I can microwave what I made last night and add color! Might be able to salvage it after all icon_smile.gif

Cakestyles: I added almost a whole 2 lb bag.. I didn't want to add all of it because I don't want it to crack on the cake. I reallly don't want to be posting about the first "real" cake I make on the cake disasters forum! I put shortening on it and then double wrapped it in saran wrap and put it in a ziploc bag.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 17

Throw the mess in the garbage and buy some Wilton fondant with a coupon from Michaels or HobbyLobby. I hate MMF, so unreliable.

hchampagne Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 17

I would if Wilton fondant wasn't so disgusting.. I want the cake to be pretty AND edible.. If all else fails I can always just tint my buttercream and smooth it out, I would just rather use fondant

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:37am
post #7 of 17

I'm sure it'll be fine tomorrow. As Texas_Rose suggested, if you nuke it for 5 to 10 second intervals it'll soften it up enough for you to knead in the coloring you need.

I have to agree with you about the Wilton fondant...the only time I use the stuff is to model figures that nobody will be eating and that's only because with the Michael's coupon I can get it pretty cheap.

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:57am
post #8 of 17

The humidity will play a huge part in how much powder sugar is needed. What recipe are you using? Macsmom has a great recipe. I think you probably needed more powder sugar if it was sticky. It should be like play dough.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 1:29am
post #9 of 17

Did you know Wilton has changed their fondant? It no longer tastes like nail polish remover. Tastes the same as satin ice to me.

hchampagne Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 1:55am
post #10 of 17

galliesway- I used a recipe I got offline. 1 2lb bag ps, 1 bag 16 oz marshmallows, and 2 tbsp water. It is VERY humid here in Louisiana; it has literally rained everyday for the past week! I will probably add more ps if the humidity plays a part; should I do that right away or can I wait and see what the consistency is in the morning?

LOL @ nail polish remover! The last time I used Wilton fondant was in May for my little brother's decorations on his graduation cupcakes I made; it still tasted horrible then icon_sad.gif I don't mind using it for decorations because most of the time people don't feel the need to eat them (although the high school boys did- and didn't complain- but 18 yr old boys eat about anyting!). I don't know what Satin Ice tastes like; I have only had MMF on a cake.

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:06am
post #11 of 17

Try doing 1lb of powder sugar with the marshmallow.. then add more if u need it.. I never use all 2 lbs cause it gets to stiff.. Maybe i'm wrong but it's easier for me

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:12am
post #12 of 17

You can see what it's like after it's rested. It should be firm enough not to droop when you hold the ball on your palm, yet remain pliable. In the summer or when we have a lot of rain I use almost the full 2lbs or more of PS. in the winter I use less about 1 1/2 lbs. Here's the link to the MMF I use. HTH.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7351/marshmallow-fondant-macsmoms-bc-flavored-variation

hchampagne Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:50am
post #13 of 17

It was definitely still drooping in my hand when I first made it. I didn't use the whole 2 lbs... I have plenty left over so in the morning I will see what I need to do. Thanks for all your help!!

BrindysBackyard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrindysBackyard Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:21am
post #14 of 17

i have been having problems with my MMF this summer so I tweeked it a bit after reading lots of posts. this is what i came up with
2 10.5oz bags of Jet Puff marshmellows 2T water. melt 30sec at a time
let cool for 10 min (longer is ok... sometimes i let it sit for 20-30 min)
2lbs PS (yes, all of it)
add 2 T of shortening to the mmf when mixing it.
let it rest over night.
heat for 10 seconds at a time untill soft

this has worked wonders. i was about to give up on MMF and now i love it

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 6:25pm
post #15 of 17

hchampagne,
I've had to nuke my fondant to make it easier to work with as well. My hands just can't take the really stiff stage when beginning to work with it. Just be careful, it can get really hot in the middle and burn your hands. If you get it too soft when nuking, just let it cool off and it'll be fine.

I haven't tried the Wilton fondant, and like you, want my cakes to taste as good as they look. I was leery of using any store bought fondant at all. But I just bought and used a bucket of Satin Ice butter cream flavored fondant and it was delicious!! I don't really care for fondant that much, but the Satin Ice beat the flavor of mine hands down. I also loved the fact that I cut out the time and energy it takes to make my own MMF!!

hchampagne Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 7:52pm
post #16 of 17

I definitely want to try the Satin Ice. The next time I cover anything in fondant, aside from decorations, I will be ordering some! My fondant was still soft this morning so I am about to knead in some more ps. I have to bake cakes tonight and fill them with whipped ganache, which I still have to make. I am doing all the cakes tonight so if something isn't right in the morning I can hopefully fix it!

hchampagne Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:24am
post #17 of 17

I wanted to thank everyone for the help! The cakes came out great, even with my soft fondant! They still covered well and held up icon_smile.gif I used a box cake, filled with homemade whipped chocolate ganache, covered in homemade buttercream and mmf. Pic in my profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%