Increasing The Height Of A Cake Dummy?

Decorating By Nazarine Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 12:27pm by tiptop57

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all! I am using a 10 inch cake dummy as the bottom tier. The other two tiers (8" and 6") will be real cakes. But I just realized that this cake dummy is only 3 inches high. Bummer. I wanted all tiers to be the 4", especially since the design I'm trying will make a height difference pretty obvious. Any tips on making the cake dummy taller? I was thinking of gluing a 1 inch layer of foam board under the dummy to increase the height. But just checking to see if anyone has another idea.

This is just a practice cake. I want to try out the design, snap a photo of the finished cake, and then I'm giving the neighbors one tier and keeping a tier for my family. (Gotta share the calories around). I'm not concerned about stability for transport.

Thanks!

3 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 4

Try going to your local craft store (Michael's or Joanne's) and getting a one
inch thick 10" round piece of strofoam.
-OR-
Take another cake dummy cut a third off with a hand saw then sand smooth with a 3M sanding sponge.

Glue together with RI or Hot Glue or White Chocolate.

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 11:52am
post #3 of 4

Thanks! I couldn't get to Michaels and didn't have another cake dummy so I just trimmed the cakes down to 3 inches. Don't know why I bought 3 inch cake dummies!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 4

Good solution. Next project cake balls!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%