Cake With A Cheesecake Top Or Bottom

Decorating By Slysprout Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 12:26pm by Ellie1985

Slysprout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Slysprout Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 4

My nephew's graduation party is coming up at the beginning of August. He requested a cake with a cheesecake top or bottom (one layer of cake, one layer of cheesecake). Has anyone done this successfully? What is the best way to do it? Thanks!

3 replies
arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:31am
post #2 of 4

Bake your c/cake the day before you bake the regular cake. Chill till ready to use. You can torte the regular cake & put the c/cake between the layers. Frost the whole with whipped cream and decorate.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 11:51am
post #3 of 4

I have also done this- I use the recipe from Junior's cheesecake book and I do not make a crust. Just grease and flour the springform pan REALLY WELL, and let it cool once it's out of the oven/waterbath, then freeze. The next day, you'll be able to pry it out pretty easily.

I've made cheesecake cakes with 1 layer cheesecake sandwiched between 2 regular layers of cake (which makes for quite a tall cake, I used 9" rounds) or I've done it with 1 layer cake under 1 layer cheesecake (with a larger cake and cheesecake, I think I made a 12" square).

I often use ganache to put the layers together which makes for a very rich dessert. I really liked the idea once I started using it! It's very versatile and delicious- I've made a tiramisu cheesecake cake with cappuccino cheesecake, espresso-soaked white cake layers and mascarpone cream frosting. Also a chocolate cake with cherry-swirl cheesecake, and a chocolate cake with creme de menthe cheesecake, and vanilla cake with triple berry cheesecake- MMM! Good luck!

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 12:26pm
post #4 of 4

OMG frankdiabetes, your combos sound delicious!!! I LOVE cheesecake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%