Mmf Help Please

Decorating By jlbrazell Updated 23 Jul 2011 , 12:24am by KateLS

jlbrazell Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 5:33am
post #1 of 9

Im making a tiered cake with fondant ( my first one) I wanted to start today to make sure its perfect for sunday. How do I store it? Will the MMF dry out and crack? I have 4 days til I need it all done. Im going to try to do zebra stripes... any suggestions?

8 replies
helen3743 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 5:41am
post #2 of 9

One suggestion would be to have it covered in shortening, plastic wrap all around, and store in an air-tight bag or container. GL!

angelleyes Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 6:17am
post #3 of 9

Don't forget the shorting when u cover it in plastic... If u don't u get a huge mess. Trust me ive dont it and it's not pretty lol.. You'll be fine as long as you store things the right way

jlbrazell Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 7:34am
post #4 of 9

this might be a stupid question but how do u get the shortening off after u store it? So its not all shiny?

helen3743 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 9

Once you knead the fondant before using it, that will make the shininess go away.

I wouldn't worry about shininess though; my first concern is just getting the fondant to look nice on the cake. And I personally am not shy with using shortening and cornstarch to help me with the process.

bakerliz Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 9

Are you asking about storing the cake after you've covered it? If so, the fondant will not crack.

helen3743 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 9

Oh, in that case, I totally misread the question. Sorry!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 12:04am
post #8 of 9

Your fondant won't dry out and crack. I usually just cover my cakes with one of these to keep any stray dust off:

http://www.luxuryhousingtrends.com/food-tent.jpg

I buy them at the dollar store.

KateLS Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 12:24am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch

Your fondant won't dry out and crack. I usually just cover my cakes with one of these to keep any stray dust off:

http://www.luxuryhousingtrends.com/food-tent.jpg

I buy them at the dollar store.

oooo...I like that! It's going right onto my wish list!

To OP: If you store it airtight after decorated, the fondant with moisten and go limp. Hence, this awesome cover! =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%