Mmf Help Please

Decorating By jlbrazell Updated 23 Jul 2011 , 12:24am by KateLS

jlbrazell  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlbrazell Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 5:33am
post #1 of 9

Im making a tiered cake with fondant ( my first one) I wanted to start today to make sure its perfect for sunday. How do I store it? Will the MMF dry out and crack? I have 4 days til I need it all done. Im going to try to do zebra stripes... any suggestions?

8 replies
 helen3743  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helen3743 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 5:41am
post #2 of 9

One suggestion would be to have it covered in shortening, plastic wrap all around, and store in an air-tight bag or container. GL!

angelleyes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 6:17am
post #3 of 9

Don't forget the shorting when u cover it in plastic... If u don't u get a huge mess. Trust me ive dont it and it's not pretty lol.. You'll be fine as long as you store things the right way

jlbrazell  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlbrazell Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 7:34am
post #4 of 9

this might be a stupid question but how do u get the shortening off after u store it? So its not all shiny?

helen3743 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 9

Once you knead the fondant before using it, that will make the shininess go away.

I wouldn't worry about shininess though; my first concern is just getting the fondant to look nice on the cake. And I personally am not shy with using shortening and cornstarch to help me with the process.

bakerliz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 9

Are you asking about storing the cake after you've covered it? If so, the fondant will not crack.

helen3743 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 9

Oh, in that case, I totally misread the question. Sorry!

cakeyouverymuch  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 12:04am
post #8 of 9

Your fondant won't dry out and crack. I usually just cover my cakes with one of these to keep any stray dust off:

http://www.luxuryhousingtrends.com/food-tent.jpg

I buy them at the dollar store.

KateLS  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 12:24am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch

Your fondant won't dry out and crack. I usually just cover my cakes with one of these to keep any stray dust off:

http://www.luxuryhousingtrends.com/food-tent.jpg

I buy them at the dollar store.

oooo...I like that! It's going right onto my wish list!

To OP: If you store it airtight after decorated, the fondant with moisten and go limp. Hence, this awesome cover! =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%