Clay Guns/extruders

Decorating By beverlyanne Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 2:37pm by beverlyanne

beverlyanne Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 6

Hello cakers,

I'm torn between getting the SugarXXXXX gun (which is like a pump) or the Makin's Professional Extruder (that has the twist top). My primary goal is to have a unit that is easy on the hands. Does anyone have an informed opinion on which one is best? Thanks.

5 replies
Marianna46 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:27am
post #2 of 6

Yes, the twist-top over the pump any day. It's much easier on the hands. I've used both and have problems with tendinitis in my hands. The Makins (which is the one I have now) doesn't tire your hands out at all. The other one most definitely does.

KoryAK Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 6:41am
post #3 of 6

I have both. HATE the tedium of the twist! The green pump one is very easy if you heat up the microwave for a few seconds (and I mean a FEW - like 7 for the amount that fits in one load) and then squeeze it out right away. The bonus with heating it is that it sets super firm afterward.

Marianna46 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the hint about heating the fondant/gumpaste before extruding it, KoryAK! You're right - neither one of them is hassle-free. But the Makins is a lot less stressful if you already have problems with your hands. And I don't know of anyone in my generation that kneads fondant that DOESN'T have them. I mean the 46 in Marianna46 is, unfortunately, my birth year, not my age when I joined CakeCentral!

Marianna46 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 6

Well, going back over your post, KoryAK, I see I misread it. But I'm still going to heat up the fondant for my Makins just because of what you said about it setting harder. And I know what you mean about overheating either fondant or gumpaste: it can turn to a gooey mess or burn the doowaditty out of your hands if you're not careful.

beverlyanne Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the useful information. You've helped me make up my mind; thanks KoryAK for the heating hint. I'm going to try that.

Marianna46, I can certainly relate to the "46". I also have tendinitis plus carpel tunnel. What a "BEEEEAAACCCHHH to get old -- but it certainly beats the alternative.

Quote by @%username% on %date%