Fondant Looking Sad And Abused After Extruder

Decorating By luckyblueeye Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 1:05am by grandmomof1

luckyblueeye Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 6

I've tried so many different ways to get my fondant rope etc smooth after pushing it through my Makin extruder. I've tried adding shortening to make it super smooth, tried not adding shortening, tried pushing it in there tightly, tried leaving it very loose...no matter what I do, the fondant coming out of the hole always seams to have lots of "cuts"...not real cuts but it's not smooth, kind of wrinkly. It comes out easily but looks like it went through some difficult times icon_cry.gif . Why?

5 replies
AnotherCaker Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 6

Is there a jagged piece of metal on the disc itself? I had to sand a bur down once on another brand of extruder...but check to see that the disc you are using is perfectly smooth and the hole is perfectly smooth.

KayMc Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:01am
post #3 of 6

Is your fondant too dry?

LaWmn223 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:25am
post #4 of 6

I was having problems like that and for me I found out that I needed to compress the fondant more in the extruder. When you put the fondant in the extruder and put the end piece back on, put one finger over the hole that you will be extruding from.. Squeeze or turn the crank until you feel the fondant pushing real hard against the finger you have over the hole. When you remove your finger and the fondant starts to come out it should be a smoother consistancy because it was compressed more. Hope this helps..

luckyblueeye Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:47am
post #5 of 6

Thank you everyone, I will try again!

grandmomof1 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:05am
post #6 of 6

I spray vegetable oil down into the tube for mine, pop the fondant in the microwave for a few seconds to get it very soft, load the extruder, and squeeze. I found heating it in the microwave helped get rid of most of the "scaling" appearance. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%