How Do I Make Cattails?

Decorating By Sweet_Cakes Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 11:56pm by vagostino

Sweet_Cakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 8

They seem pretty straight forward, but I would think that if you stick the brown top on a hardned piece of fondant or gumpaste, it would break because it is top heavy. Is there a special secret?

7 replies
idgalpal Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 8

You could use rkt covered in fondant or ganache

KHalstead Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 8

how big are you making them???? I've made little ones using spaghettie and a little brown fondant for the tops...if you need lifesize ones I'd go with a skewer or dowel rod as the stem part!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 8

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I did these out of fondant and used spaghetti for the stems. The spaghetti stems were stuck directly into the cake.

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2011_01_09_archive.html

The ones here were a good deal bigger. They were made of modelling chocolate on wooden skewers as stems. I built up the shore line with RKT and stuck the skewer stems directly into that.

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2011/05/bonne-fete-dan.html

If that's not helpful, you'll have to offer more detail as to what it is you're looking for.

Sweet_Cakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 8

I would be making little ones...spaghetti noodles seems like a good idea...is there a way to strengthen the spaghetti noodles? they are fragile too

CWR41 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 8

I use bamboo skewers stained with liquid brown food coloring, although you could leave them natural.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Cakes

I would be making little ones...spaghetti noodles seems like a good idea...is there a way to strengthen the spaghetti noodles? they are fragile too

You could try round toothpicks. They wouldn't be as fragile as spaghetti.

vagostino Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 8

I use the whole wheat spahetti noodles since they resemble the color better. they really hold up well...I used them in 4 cakes already and none of them broke. You just have to break the noodle of course and not make it very tall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%