How Do I Make Cattails?

Decorating By Sweet_Cakes Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 11:56pm by vagostino

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 8

They seem pretty straight forward, but I would think that if you stick the brown top on a hardned piece of fondant or gumpaste, it would break because it is top heavy. Is there a special secret?

7 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 8

You could use rkt covered in fondant or ganache

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 8

how big are you making them???? I've made little ones using spaghettie and a little brown fondant for the tops...if you need lifesize ones I'd go with a skewer or dowel rod as the stem part!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 8

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I did these out of fondant and used spaghetti for the stems. The spaghetti stems were stuck directly into the cake.

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2011_01_09_archive.html

The ones here were a good deal bigger. They were made of modelling chocolate on wooden skewers as stems. I built up the shore line with RKT and stuck the skewer stems directly into that.

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2011/05/bonne-fete-dan.html

If that's not helpful, you'll have to offer more detail as to what it is you're looking for.

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 8

I would be making little ones...spaghetti noodles seems like a good idea...is there a way to strengthen the spaghetti noodles? they are fragile too

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 8

I use bamboo skewers stained with liquid brown food coloring, although you could leave them natural.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Cakes

I would be making little ones...spaghetti noodles seems like a good idea...is there a way to strengthen the spaghetti noodles? they are fragile too

You could try round toothpicks. They wouldn't be as fragile as spaghetti.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 8

I use the whole wheat spahetti noodles since they resemble the color better. they really hold up well...I used them in 4 cakes already and none of them broke. You just have to break the noodle of course and not make it very tall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%