Question About Pastry Cream... And Fondant.

Decorating By DessertsByLauren Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 2:37am by Marianna46

DessertsByLauren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertsByLauren Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 2

Ok, so i'm in the middle of baking my daughters first birthday cake and I planned to do a 2 tier cake, 4 layers each, filled with chocolate and vanilla pastry cream. Today it's about 98º and tomorrow it's only going to be hotter. I don't want the pastry cream to sour. The party is on Saturday. I know i'd have to keep them in fridge... which leads me to my 2nd question...

If I cover the cakes with fondant while everything is at room temperature, and then put the cakes in the fridge, will I run into problems with bubbling? I had such huge bubble issues with my last cake that I had to peel off all the fondant and re-do it. I think it was because it was hot out and the cakes had been in the fridge before covering. But if everything is cold, will it be ok?

Thanks everyone!!!!!

1 reply
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:37am
post #2 of 2

If you refrigerate the fondant when the temp outside is 98°, you'll run into the problem of condensation melting it when you take it out of the fridge. If you have space in your fridge, box the cake up and wrap it in a couple of layers of plastic wrap before you put it in. When you take it all out, let it come to room temperature before unwrapping it and that should save you the problems with the condensation forming on the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%