Va. Licensing...i'm So Frustrated

Business By maude Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 1:26am by costumeczar

maude Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 9

Was told that I need to install a commercial hood and exhaust system just to bake cakes on a very part time basis. Has anyone else had this issue?

8 replies
costumeczar Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 12:32am
post #2 of 9

Nooooo...Who told you that? You tend to get different information depending on who you talk to. Some people don't know the regulations for in-home bakeries, and they think that we have to do the same things as a commercial kitchen.

Navyempress Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:11am
post #3 of 9

Huh? Hahaha.. Yeah, you must have talked to the wrong person.. Did you talk to someone at the VDACS? Or somewhere else?

costumeczar Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 11:21am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyempress

Huh? Hahaha.. Yeah, you must have talked to the wrong person.. Did you talk to someone at the VDACS? Or somewhere else?

Or maybe the janitor who happened to answer the phone that was ringing? Sometimes I think they just get random people off the street to answer the phones and give out information.

Navyempress Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Or maybe the janitor who happened to answer the phone that was ringing? Sometimes I think they just get random people off the street to answer the phones and give out information.

Hahaha.. I know! What bothers me most is when you ask if something is allowed and if they don't know the answer, they say "no". They don't even bother trying to find out, they just say no. So frustrating!

Thankfully I live in the town next to Keith Jordan's office so if I have any questions, I call him. He knows his stuff!

Maude, I hope you get the right information from someone else..

ChefAngie Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 9

New Visions New Ventures
701 E. Franklin Street Suite 712
Richmond, VA 23219
804-643-1081
[email protected]
Fax:804-643-1085
Web:www.nvnv.org
They are very helpful for women starting food base businesses.
Hope this helps.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

cocoa2 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 9

When I had my inspection i had to ask him did he want to take a look a kitchen. we sat at my dinner room table and talk for bout 30min's.. i live in eastern henrico...

maude Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:39am
post #8 of 9

I actually went to the county courthouse because the lady at Dept of Agric. said I had to get approval from zoning dept in my county. The building inspector is the one who denied it, he pulled out a book of codes and said that because they used the word (oven) that he couldn't approve it. He did however agree that it was ridiculous. UGH!

costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:26am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by maude

I actually went to the county courthouse because the lady at Dept of Agric. said I had to get approval from zoning dept in my county. The building inspector is the one who denied it, he pulled out a book of codes and said that because they used the word (oven) that he couldn't approve it. He did however agree that it was ridiculous. UGH!

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%